Monster of the night

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Greg, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Starting to refine my exposures and technique on the 50 macro. I'm having to relearn it all over again after giving this all up some 15-20 years ago. But golly it's fun. My thanks to Patrick for enlightening me to the new gear that is available and especially this forum.

Found this guy hanging on the outside of my window. Makes for a different perspective as if you're the meal looking up.

[​IMG]

And for our folks with allergies I offer the following. Yup, those are stamens loaded with pollen.

[​IMG]

2. That is one ugly dude hanging outside your window. As for the second shot, no wonder my eyes are watering all the time. Both images are well done.

3. Very Cool Stuff!

Two very interesting images and perspectives!

If you're on the same scale as the bug, this has to be absolutely terrifying. You have done a fine job of showing us this sensation.

The flower shot is really dynamic. Love the way the pollen seems to float above the flower.

Enjoyed your creativity here!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Greg. The bug is good, but the pollen shot is amazing. So how is the working distance in the 50 micro lens? Is this a Nikkor? Did you use any special lighting or flash?

Regards,

Frank

5. Very cool photography!!! :) :) :) :) :)

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I agree with Frank....the bug is good....The pollen shot made my eyes tear and swell and i started sneezing as soon as I started looking. And I don't have allergies anywhere near as bad as Patrick....maybe we should send him a warning!!! lol :lol:

Thanks for sharing with us.

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    range of sharpness.

I was actually a bit frustrated with the sigma 50 1:1 over the weekend. I was using a macro flash and just couldn't get the focus I thought it should put out. I began to think that since you are about 1 inch from the subject with the 50 at 1:1 that I may be getting some flash flare on the lens. So decided to run ambient (whatever is handy) light test. The flower shoot was actually on the kitchen table under Fluorescent lights. No, I didn't pull the flower out of the garden. it was in a batch I'm supposed to plant (someday).

At any rate, I ran the gamut on apertures and seems that f/16 to f32 is the sharpest range. f/45 was actually not as sharp and of a lower contrast. But then it had a VERY long exposure so was not a good test for the small apertures. I'll try this weekend in sunlight at a reasonable distance.

I was also reminded that by reviewing the images that DOF is next to Nil at 1:1 and you may actually be better of by reducing the mag and cropping tighter.

I did notice the floating effect of the pollen. Kind of neat but not sure I can reproduce it.

All in all I feel better about it now.

thanks for the kind words. suggestions always welcome.