Monster

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greyflash, Apr 17, 2005.

1. I may have created a monster. About a month ago a gentleman stopped by my house so that I might train him on a computer program (non photography related). He happened to notice my camera sitting there and asked me some questions which I happily answered and in addition showed him some images that I had taken with the camera. I noticed that he was taking notes while I was talking.

Tonight he called me and said that he had bought a new D2H and a couple of lenses and wondered if he might stop by and ask me a couple of questions. I said sure come anytime and 15 minutes later there he was. He had taken delivery about two weeks ago so I thought the questions might be relative to some of the more obscure settings available on this great camera. His first question was "how do you turn the camera on." I knew I was in trouble. We spent three hours while I gave him a tour of his new camera, Nikon View and Nikon Capture (neither of which he has at this time). He is leaving for Italy in two weeks and plans to take thousands of genealogy type pictures of records and parishes in addition to some tourist type images.

My camera happened to have the SB800 mounted on a RRS bracket and again I noticed that he dutifully wrote all of that down and I am sure they will be on order tomorrow. Well at least he has the on/off switch down pretty well and can at least look at his images on the LCD. Of course he didn't know what a histogram was either so we spent a few minutes on that as well. My problem is that he is not exactly a quick study and I hope I haven't ruined his trip to Italy. Where did I go wrong? :shock: :shock:

2. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    It's Aliiiiivvvveee!!
    Gordon, what have you done!:)
    Seriously, he'll do fine. Just set him on auto pilot and wish him God Speed.
    Jarrell

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Maybe you can refer him here:

www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons

There's everything in there including lenses, aperture, shutter speed, histogram, blinky highlights, and even post processing. He might find it useful.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon,

So glad you were willing to help someone. I have had to learn it all the hard way. By myself and some great words from Jarrell that I always keep in mind.

Do you remember the daunting look you had at your first camera glimps.

I am proud of you.

Keep up the good work.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    GHO,

Thanks for reminding me. I need to go back to your site. It is truly great, easy to understand.

I need to go over these things often, there is so much to remember.

The older I get the less I remember :>)))))

Then sometime I say to heck with it, point the camera and shoot. To my suprise I will get something good.

Then I saw an oldddddddd engine that really fasinated me, and even set up the shot to get the wheel in movement :>))) I was so proud.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow GHO,

Your web site has really increased. I am still reading. Can see by time of posts. Wonderful Job.

Thank you so much. You have explaind some things I haven't seen explained in any of the books etc, making understanding much easier.

When is your book coming out. :>))

Thank You again.

7. Gordon, you're a better man than I!! LOL I'm bad enough trying to teach people about computers and fix their problems over the phone, but when people ask if I can give them camera lessons for their new cameras, I always point them to the local camera store's Digital Photography 101 one-day course. I just tell them I don't know all the different cameras so they're better off with a course. Of course, you can't use that excuse if the guy has the same gear!! LOL It will be very interesting to see what short of shots he comes back with! Good for you.

8. No where.... you did a very kind thing. However you simply say no when he calls again. Here's what I'd say to him.

"I was glad to help you, but it looks like you purchased a camera which is a bit more powerful than you thought. I have many personal activities which prevent me from spending more time with you. However, (then you give him the web sites or recommend a local photo store) you can try these sources for assistance."

Most reasonable people will understand and thank you. If he tries negotiating for a specific smaller time or gives other signs of a "control" relationship be very firm and say, "no I'm sorry I've just got too much going on in my personal activities to give any further help."

He will be disappointed, but you've been more than helpful.

Rich

9. He did offer to pay me for my time but of course I did not take him up on that. I didn't mind helping him but was just surprised that he buys everything that I mention. I think he still believes that it is the camera that takes the image. My worries are that he will leave for Italy in a couple of weeks and still will know very little about the operation of his new toy. When someone has a camera for two weeks and still does not know how to turn it on (literally) that is cause for concern. The image I took of him was numbered _DSC000001. :lol: :lol:

10. Gordon,

I think Rich has summed it up nicely, in every respect. You have been very generous, but there are many people who don't realize how long it takes to learn new equipment and, perhaps more to the point, to learn some of the basics of photography as well. His best bet would be to use a point and shoot -- and I don't mean that condescendingly. That would maximize his chances of getting decent shots in that situation.

Just my 2¢ worth...

11. I agree David but this just started out by him asking what kind of a camera I had. I didn't have any idea that he would go out and buy one. In fact the last thing on my mind was trying to sell him on my camera. That's why I said "I may have created a monster." :shock: :twisted:

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    He's probably seen your work and thought 'I want to make pictures like that!' Remember the guy on DPR with the tag-line that asked what piano could make him play like Mozart?

If you don't mind being around him for a short while, take him around the yard on a little shooting trip, so he can see the work, skill and talent that it also takes to shoot like you. Then maybe he'll feel brave enough to try it on his own.

Or maybe he'll just run out and buy all the same glass too... :(

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

14. Thanks for your kind words Chris. Interestingly enough while doing some demo instruction with my camera he noticed that I had a 17-55mm DX lens and the next thing I noticed he was writing that down as well. I mentioned that it was quite expensive but he said money was not an object. Ouch!!

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I guess it's his money, huh? Teach him about P mode and auto ISO and auto WB. It might be interesting to see what a rank tyro* can do with such top notch equipment in full auto!

* I've always wanted to use the phrase 'rank tyro' but is seems so mean, yet somehow applicable here... :|

16. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Glad you find it useful Gale. Actually, I haven't had time to do anything to it since I put it up there. The only thing I've been adding to is the galleries.

I've still got to write up some photoshop stuff, but I just haven't had the time lately.

17. Gordon, I always know you have a great heart inside. You don't do anything wrong here. If I was you, I would do the same thing. What I have learned with time is after giving a crash course on the equipment, I always suggest a basic setting (everything in auto mode as Chris101 said) to begin with. Cheers, my friend.

18. Thanks Gregory, I will send him this website URL. It should be helpful to him.

19. This is a hoot, Gordon. If he went 2 weeks without being able to identify the on/off switch, I wouldn't rate his chances of mastering the s2h as very high :lol:.

Unless he's a relative or a dear friend, I don't think you should have any reservations about charging him for your time and expertise. The next time he offers to pay, take him up on it. $50/hr. is the going rate for individual dance instruction, and is very reasonable for consulting services in a skill area. It will either encourage him to do some independent study, or help build you a nice bankroll for your next case of lens lust.