Monterey, CA - a few scapes

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gadgetguy11, Jul 20, 2007.

1. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Just returned from Monterey / Carmel, and San Francisco. Here are a few images from Monterey. As always, your comments and criticisms are welcome:

I switched #1 to get rid of the protruding stalk:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our hotel:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2007
  2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    great shots John
    not sure about the 1st...my eye keeps going to the bush in the middle
    #2 is really sweet

3. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Not too sure about the bush in #1 either, but they are gorgeous shots with excellent processing!

4. ghursh

ghursh

Jul 3, 2007
    Gilbert, AZ
    Nice images... the bush I could do with out... it pulls your attention away from the picture as a whole.

5. Lose the bush (stalk) in #1, lose the bushes in the foreground in #2, lose the human in #3. Otherwise good shots. You asked! Just my opinion. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Seriously, though, I like the shots.

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the really helpful feedback, Frank, Matthew, ghursh, and Chris!

When I shot that first image, the "stalk" seemed like a great idea in the field. Then when I looked at the image and processed it today, I really did not like it. I posted it anyway, because I really needed to know if my "processing eyes" were on target. I switched image #1 on my first post to a similar scene, without stalk.

I can clone the person out of #3, and crop the bushes in the foreground on #2, but I actually like both of them as is. To my untrained eye, the person gives size perspective and interest, and the bushes create an angular perspective. I'd like to know if I am off on this, in order to adjust future images.

Thanks for noticing the processing! I very recently began shooting in RAW. I processed these in Lightroom. I have CS3 but did not use it for these.

Thanks for your help!!

7. Don't take my comments as a confront................they were, as I stated, an opinion. And you know that joke about that!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

8. tradervic

tradervic Guest

brought back memories

Thanks for the picture of the hotel, my wife and I stayed there on our trip 8 years ago.

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Chris,

I really appreciate you taking the time to review my images, and to critique them!! Your thoughts are very much appreciated! Absolutely no confront taken!!

We loved the Victorian Inn. The complimentary wine & cheese spread every night from 4-6PM was delightful!

There is a similar hotel, also with complimentary wine hour, in San Francisco. These 2 hotels are so close to being identical, you wouldn't believe it. The hotel we love in San Francisco is The Tuscan Inn at Fisherman's Wharf!! It is our favorite hotel, in any city, at any $$. We stayed at The Tuscan Inn 7 nights during this trip; more images to come!!