1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Monterey

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by manzico, May 16, 2019.

1. Here are some photos from a drive around the coast near Monterey. We were traveling with friends so I was a little rushed (for some reason non-photographers don't want to stay in the same spot for hours while I find good shots), but I still managed a few keepers.=

#1: A diptych of the lone cypress in both visible and infrared
    169208771.sB9ni5R2.Cypress_Diptych.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2:
    169179800.ldBWXLbO.Bird_on_a_Rock.jpg

#3:
    169179805.g3JCqGca.Cypress_Silhouette.jpg

#4:
    169179806.YYwJGtgz.Portal.jpg

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

• Like Like x 3
  2. Nice stuff Dave. 2 and 3 are tops. The little bird in 2 makes the shot. In 1, the IR shot loses the great contrast that makes the normal one so good. And 4, to my mind lacks a focal object.
    Yeah, I know about photo-phobic friends.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  3. I like #1 and #3.
    I am not a fan of IR

4. Beautiful set, Dave!
    I wonder what you get when you can take your time :) 
    #2 is really excellent, I think.
    In the first duo, I do like the IR. I might even say I prefer it to the visible light version.

5. Thanks for the comments. What was so great was that those birds seemed to be completely planted where they were. In several places, I set up to shoot and the birds hung out for the duration. In shot 2, given the long set of exposures it's a wonder the bird made it into the shot at all, much less mostly stood still.

Thanks. I think IR can be overused, but when it works it's great, as long as you're not simply relying on the IR-ness to make the image. Hopefully this one works, but I really thought it was interesting when placed side by side with it's visible light counterpart.

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting note about the second photo. I didn't have room in my pelican case for my filter kit, but when I got there I desperately wanted a long exposure shot to blur the ocean. I set the f-stop and ISO so that the shutter speed was as long enough to blur the photos, then I took 91 successive shots which I averaged in photoshop. It's not quite milky smooth, but it works out to about 2+ minutes of combined exposure time so it's a pretty good substitute in a pinch.

Dave

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Wonderful series. #2 is kicking it for me.

7. Great series, Dave! #2 for me also!

8. I like the mood in #2 and the composition and light in #4. I especially like how the rock formations in the lower area of #4 ground the image so nicely.

9. Careful they don't come looking for royalties for publishing an image of THE tree. I like no.3. The set took me down memory lane. Nicely done.

10. Thanks!

I appreciate the post.

Thanks for the comment.

I'm married to a lawyer so I know how things can go.

Thanks,

Dave

11. I really like the IR shot. Thanks for showing us the difference between the normal one and the IR with the same scene.

12. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Very nice but number 2 stands out.

13. really like 2,3 and 4. best one for me is 2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.