Critique Monterey

Here are some photos from a drive around the coast near Monterey. We were traveling with friends so I was a little rushed (for some reason non-photographers don't want to stay in the same spot for hours while I find good shots), but I still managed a few keepers.=

#1: A diptych of the lone cypress in both visible and infrared
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2:

#3:

#4:

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Nice stuff Dave. 2 and 3 are tops. The little bird in 2 makes the shot. In 1, the IR shot loses the great contrast that makes the normal one so good. And 4, to my mind lacks a focal object.
Yeah, I know about photo-phobic friends.

Last edited:
Beautiful set, Dave!
I wonder what you get when you can take your time :)
#2 is really excellent, I think.
In the first duo, I do like the IR. I might even say I prefer it to the visible light version.

Nice stuff Dave. 2 and 3 are tops. The little bird in 2 makes the shot. In 1, the IR shot loses the great contrast that makes the normal one so good. And 4, to my mind lacks a focal object.
Yeah, I know about photo-phobic friends.
Thanks for the comments. What was so great was that those birds seemed to be completely planted where they were. In several places, I set up to shoot and the birds hung out for the duration. In shot 2, given the long set of exposures it's a wonder the bird made it into the shot at all, much less mostly stood still.

I like #1 and #3.
I am not a fan of IR
Thanks. I think IR can be overused, but when it works it's great, as long as you're not simply relying on the IR-ness to make the image. Hopefully this one works, but I really thought it was interesting when placed side by side with it's visible light counterpart.

Beautiful set, Dave!
I wonder what you get when you can take your time :)
#2 is really excellent, I think.
In the first duo, I do like the IR. I might even say I prefer it to the visible light version.
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting note about the second photo. I didn't have room in my pelican case for my filter kit, but when I got there I desperately wanted a long exposure shot to blur the ocean. I set the f-stop and ISO so that the shutter speed was as long enough to blur the photos, then I took 91 successive shots which I averaged in photoshop. It's not quite milky smooth, but it works out to about 2+ minutes of combined exposure time so it's a pretty good substitute in a pinch.

Dave

Wonderful series. #2 is kicking it for me.
Thanks!

Great series, Dave! #2 for me also!
I appreciate the post.

I like the mood in #2 and the composition and light in #4. I especially like how the rock formations in the lower area of #4 ground the image so nicely.
Thanks for the comment.

Careful they don't come looking for royalties for publishing an image of THE tree. I like no.3. The set took me down memory lane. Nicely done.
I'm married to a lawyer so I know how things can go.

Thanks,

Dave

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom