Monument Valley (SW trip pt. 3)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JeffKohn, Aug 2, 2007.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Another gallery from our southwest roadtrip, this time it's Monument Valley. If I had to choose one word to describe the impression I had there, it would have to be 'epic'. It seemed that everywhere I looked I saw panoramic images.

Of course this is one of those locations that's been photographed to death; even so it's hard to resist those postcard shots no matter how many times they've been taken before. I tried to look for more than just the most obvious images, but I'm not sure how successful I was.

I had a hard time narrowing down the list of keepers; I had 4 or 5 images that I really liked, and another 8-12 that I kinda liked but wasn't really sure about. In the end I got it down to 12 images. I've posted 6 here for your feedback/critique, and you can see the rest in the gallery here.

West Mitten (pano - click here for larger version).
    large.

Rain God Mesa (pano - click here for larger version).
    large.

Twilight, Totem Pole
    original.

Spire
    original.

Mitchell Butte (pano - click here for larger version.
    large.

Tracks
    original.

2. Awesome!

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Very nice work Jeff.

4. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Wow. Very nice... The Rain God Mesa one has that something extra. Good work!

Cheers,

-Yamo-

5. lchrismunos

lchrismunos

Jun 28, 2006
    Arkansas
    Jeff-These are really good. Love the last two!

6. Outstanding!

"Spire", what process did you use to convert to B&W?

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Alex, Todd, and Chris - thanks for looking, I appreciate it.

Yamo - thanks. something about that scene really struck me, though I'm not entirely sure why.

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The exact process varies, so I can't say for sure exactly what process I used. For the initial conversion, I usually use channel mixer, the new B&W adjustment layer in CS3, or a plugin called Convert to B&W Pro. From there I'll often do additional work on the tonality of the image using adjustent layers, duplicate layers with blend modes, etc. More recently I've been playing with a demo of LightZone, which can do some really cool stuff especially with monochrome images.

9. Excellent, thanks. I'd say that is one of the best digital B&W images I've ever seen.

10. Jeff -

These are all nicely done!

If pressed to pick "faves", I'd go with West Mitten and Tracks . . .

Thanks,

Eric

11. Spectacular shots, Jeff. Thanks for sharing them.

12. Nice, Jeff. You sure know how to use the great light!

13. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    From one Jeff to another ....Great job!, I looked at the others in the Gallery, please post the rest. Hope to get out there someday when the kids are grown up so my wife and I can see more of the good old U.S. of A. - Jeff

14. WOW!! This is one of the places that's on my "gotta go there before I die" list, and these shots make me want to move it up a few notches.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Cheers!!

Ken

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Eric - Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't sure about "Tracks"

Chris and David - Thanks for commenting, I appreciate the kind words.

Jeff and Ken - Thank you! I highly recommend visiting Monument Valley; it's definitely one of the "gotta see it for yourself" places. If you do go, google Tom Phillips and hire him for a guided tour. A bit more expensive, but well worth it for photographers.

16. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Very nice Jeff!

17. Jeff

Love that "Tracks" photo! Intriguing combination of patterns!

18. Jeff, Jeff, Jeff!
    You make my heart ache to get out there.
    Now please STOP showing such spectacular photo, pleaseeeeeee!:rolleyes:

19. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Beautiful work as always, Jeff! Love your B&W's.

20. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Jeff,
    My favorite is the West Mitten Pano. You did a great job with it .... terrific color, good composition and it really shows the vista view that you were talking about.

The others are all very good and very interesting, but having been to MV recently, I prefer the first.

Mike