Monument Valley

And then the sun rose above the clouds .......

76408631.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Moving around I must have taken 10 shots from different spots. It was quite an experience.

Mike

Murrey and Brian,
Thanks for the nice comments. It really is a magical place, especially during the "golden hours".

Mike

Nice. The directional light really adds a lot to the picture.

So were you on one of the guided tours? We're going to be making a road trip out that way this summer, and are considered Monument Valley as one of the stops but I heard the access wasn't very good for photographers (can't get to many points of interest during the "good light").

Beautiful! I love the way the sand gives a suggestion of movement and the contrast of the different textures of the rocks, sand and shrubs.

Nice. The directional light really adds a lot to the picture.

So were you on one of the guided tours? We're going to be making a road trip out that way this summer, and are considered Monument Valley as one of the stops but I heard the access wasn't very good for photographers (can't get to many points of interest during the "good light").

Jeff, Monument Valley is on the Navajo Reservation and is totally regulated by the tribe. You must have a Navajo guide with you at every place in the valley except for the 19 mile loop (unpaved road) where you need only pay the park entrance fee of $5.00 per person. The loop road is only available during regular park hours that don't include either sunrise or sunset. You don't need a guide for the loop but you must keep your vehicle on or next to the road.

There are group tours where they take you off the loop road and during longer hours but they take you to their regular spots and you must move along with the group. I saw a group tour in the valley at sunset but not a sunrise, especially where I was.

Most of the photos you see taken by enthusiasts and professionals are with private guides who specialize in photo tours. As an example, for my "Totem Pole" shot, we searched for an area that had the sand ripples and no foot prints. There were no group tours in that area nor could any vehicle capable of holding more than 4 people get to it. If you look at my Monument Valley gallery on my website, no guide was needed for the vista shots, all others required the photo guide.

If you want more info PM me.
Mike

Roosje,
Thanks for the nice comment. I agree with you about the textures. As you can see from my response to Jeff, we searched for a spot that had the ripples. The lighting was almost a religious experience.
Mike

Thanks David,
This was my second time there and I knew what I was looking for. As my guide said, "So you want ripples, huh?"
Mike

R

RForshey

Nicely done Mike. The totem pole is tough to shoot and get right, and you got it right!

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I knew you had to be accompanied by the guides for anything but the main loop, just wasn't sure if there were any guides offering tours at sunrise/sunset. After a bit of searching it seems there's at least one photographer offering "photo tours" early/late in the day although for a considerably higher price than the regular tours. Might be worth it though. I may take you up on the PM as our trip gets closer...

Thanks again,

Randy,
Thanks for the comment. With your experience, I really appreciate the kind words.

Jeff, I used Tom Phillips' group, Monument Valley Tours. Roy was my guide. I think they are the expensive ones.

Mike

P

pelowell66

It looks to me like the expensive one was well worth it, this is an awsome shot as are the others that you have posted.

It looks to me like the expensive one was well worth it, this is an awsome shot as are the others that you have posted.

Thanks for the nice comment. As I tell my wife, it's less than a round of golf on a resort golf course, and with my game, the photography is more fun. :smile:

Great shot Mike.

I just love that lighting, it brings out the textures so perfectly.

Steve, thanks for the nice comment.

Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom