Monument Valley

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by rodneyr, Apr 21, 2007.

1. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

I am contemplating a visit to Monument Valley in June and would like to get some information about shooting there. I guess the biggest question is at what point does it become desirable/necessary to go to the expense of hiring a guide? What are the options without a guide (places, times you can be there ect). And if a guide is hired, what should one expect to pay? Finally, I will be traveling with a camper so any insight into local camping conditions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. BubbaBob

BubbaBob

Feb 28, 2006
    If you want to shoot the sand dunes or the totem pole area close up, you'll need a guide and it'll cost you an arm and a leg. The rest of the valley is accessible by (rough) roads without a guide. It goes without saying that you want to be there at sunset and sunrise. There's a campground at the visitor center. The road into the valley opens in the morning more or less at sunrise. The colors are at their best if there's been rain in the last 24 hrs. Of my 3 visits there, the rain cooperated twice. Pretty good for a desert.

3. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

Thanks for the information BubbaBob. Nice images in your gallery of the valley. I was wondering if anyone had more specific prices availble though....

4. The rainy season there is July and August; rain in June is unlikely. However the area is spectacular anytime so you should just go when you can!

5. I paid around $100 for a 2 hour private trip to the the popular areas, including the sand dunes and Yei Bi Chei. I would suspect that summer will cost more.

Have you been to Monument Valley before? If not, you are going to get a rude awakening if you think it's like the regular national parks you go to. It's a tribal park: roads are really bad, I see refuse here and there. In short, it's quite unlike a national park.

For more info refer to my trip report ...

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FqgL

6. I did not have a private guide but did not have a good experience with the guided tours there.