Moody Portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by Debbi, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Debbi

Debbi Guest

This portrait was just playing but I really like how it turned out. It was taken at 1.8 and 1/25 sec handheld. The DOF is very shallow but I think it adds to the mood. C&C is more than welcome!

original.

2. Now THIS is a wonderful photo!

3. Debbi, I think it is an excellent shot. The only thing I might experiment with is the crop, maybe tighter on the head, and possibly include the feet if they were in the original. If not it stand as a nice capture just the way it is.

BTW, welcome to the Cafe... keep sharing.

4. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Welcome to the café Debbi - I love the photo - very creative!

5. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Definitely a great shot (though I hate women smoking), the only thing bothering me is the white line behind the lady. I'm not sure if it adds or distracts...

6. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Thank you everyone. This shot has not been cropped and other than applying NN, it is straight from the camera. I was actually shooting from a dark room with model standing between the two rooms with a hot light to her right. The line you are seeing is the light hitting the door frame. I'll try and burn that and see if I can make it a little less noticeable. I really appreciate the comments. I think this may be a great place to hang out!

7. Absolutely love the light! That smoke is surreal! What kind of building is that set in?

8. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Thank you, Michael. It is actually a warehouse that is attached to the back of a friend's studio.

9. Fabulous lighting!

10. I love the mood and "impression" of the image -- it "speaks" and that's hard to do. All sorts of questions can be asked about the subject and that's part of what makes an image interesting. The light is very cool and that frame needs to be iluminated to support her foot being up in the air. Now for what I don't like -- and it's a pet peeve of mine -- you cut her off at the knee. I try to never cut a subject through a "joint" and notice immediately when someone else does it. Other than that little niggle, I like it a lot.

Phil

11. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Thank you Stephanie and Phil. Phil, I really appreciate the detailed critique. My passion in photography is landscapes; however, I decided this year to get out of my box, so to speak. I'm trying to learn more about portraits and shooting people in general. I noticed after the fact that I had cut her off at the knee and that is something I am now looking closer at before I frame the pic. I did try cropping the pic closer at the bottom to change the joint thing but with the way her foot is propped against the door frame, it just looked odd so I left it alone. Thank you again!

12. Debbi, I love your creativity and the overall look of the shot. Personally I would crop it much closer to her back and then at mid thigh. To me this would make a much stronger composition and yet still maintain the current aspect ratio. The lighting around the face and hair of the girl is outstanding.

13. You.re welcome, Debbi. I try to give honest, constructive criticism when it's obvious that's what the questioner wants. As in landscape shooting, people shooting is mostly about the light and, based on your posted shot, you have a great eye for the light. Also like landscape shooting, interesting composition and those little things to watch out for come next. Just like a limb can sneak in the top or side edge of a landscape shot, it's very easy to compose through a joint that's just supporting the overall image. Shadows in eye sockets can be sneaky little devils, as well. I agree there is no way to crop the image to improve the situation but next time you will know to drop that frame another degree or two. All that said, it's still a very nice shot. The main thing is the light -- curing the little "uh-ohs" is easy. You are ahead of the curve.

Phil

14. HA! Good, I was thinking that it looks like the makings of a great studio space.... Hmmmm.... the studio must be nicer :wink:

15. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Terrific shot Debbi! Love the dynamic lighting and the pensive mood of the model. Welocme to the Cafe, and don't stop there, keep em comin!

16. This is an excellent shot!! I love the mood. Nice work!

17. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Thank you very much Gordon, Steve and Keith!

Michael - it is a very cool studio. Lots of fun and tons of possibilities.

18. That shot is electrifying. Well done! I'd agree with cropping a little of the top space.

19. Excellent Debbi and welcome to the Cafe!

Anthony