Moon @ 2000mm

Wouldn't a longer shutter time and a lower iso result in less noise? Assuming you're shooting from a tripod (500/4 makes me think you do), 1/10" will still be fast enough to get a sharp moon I'd think - earth rotation becomes a factor when your shutter time is minutes, not seconds.

Still better than anything I've ever done, though. Don't get me wrong on that :smile:
Shooting Lunar eclipses with a 500mm lens, I found that you can see the effects of the Earth's rotation in a 10 second exposure

If you have ever done Moon shots, it is amazing how fast it moves in the viewfinder- and I am only typically shoot at 1200mm. It can be out of the frame in 15 seconds.

Thanks everyone. :smile: The rotation of the earth is indeed VERY visible at 2000mm. I got a couple shots at 1/15 that were lower ISO, but I wasn't happy with them as much as I was with these higher ISO, faster shutter shots.

I was using a Manfrotto 3421 gimbal head which seems decently stable when shooting birds, but when you've got two TCs stacked you quickly begin to see how UNstable it really is.

I had to wait a good 8-10 seconds for the vibrations to stop after I threw the mirror up.

Thanks for the inspiration. I just finished shooting my own moon with the nikkor 800 5.6 EED_IF AIS TC-301, Pk tube and TC 14-C on my Canon 5D mark 2 video and D3 for stills. I won't hijack this thread with my shots but, Im very happy I went out and got some shot/footage. The nikon cafe continues to inspire me.

I am going out on a limb and might tip, to take away at least one TC, shoot at f11 - f14 max and try the lowest ISO, highest shutter for stopping moon motion.
Crop and land a even sharper moon ;-)

Nice shot and interesting experiment with the 500 though ;-)

It would probably be possible to get Jupiter with that set up, and have it at least be a visible circle rather than a dot.
I was withholding my Jupiter shot, as it's not quite as clear... :rolleyes:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom