Moon @ 2000mm

Was the Jupiter shot centered in the frame? If so this is a good illustration of atmospheric dispersion!

great shot
the 100% pic shows that man did not go to the moon....cant see any flags:biggrin:blowing in the wind:biggrin:

August 9, 2009

I love your moon shot photo, being an amateur astronomer, I did note the crater Tycho near the bottom center of your photo. The "rays" moving out from the crater are rather interesting. What ever hit the moon way back when must have caused a tremendous impact in order to create a crater that large, and threw out so much lunar material to form the "rays" in the photo.

To the photographer, who photographed Jupiter, great image, I noticed the faint cloud bands inside of Jupiter's disc. Next time, try to get the 4 satellites of Jupiter in your image, and Neptune is near by Jupiter, so perhaps you will see those planetary objects as well.

Great Images.

Steve Zalewski
Syracuse Camera Club Member
Syracuse, NY

Nikon F5, Nikon N80, 70-300VR, 70-300G, 24mm F2.8D Nikkor, 50mm F1.8 Nikkors (2) 50mm F1.4 Nikkor, 60mm F2.8 Micro, SB-28, and a Celestron C5+ astronomical telescope.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wileec

I was involved in a testing session with another couple of photographers this last week. We were talking about getting a shot of the moon and I woke up early this morning, to a very bright moon, so took a turn at it. The largest challenge was the visible movement, making it very hard to establish focus. I use LiveView, zooming in to basically the lower right corner of the moon to manual focus to. The trick is that with my scope/camera even on with the RRS ballhead and Gitzo tripod, any tweak to camera (ISO/SS) or scope (focus) has to be given time for it to settle. At that level of zoom, I can visible see the moon moving - making it really tough to get focus. With still subjects I tweak focus, let it settle, then evaluate for more or less tweaking. With the moon, by the time it would settle, the portion of the moon I was using for focus had moved out of frame. The scope is rated at f/9 and I added a 1.4x TC to my camera, so was getting so little light that SS was only 1/45, hardly fast enough to stop anything. Any way, it was a starting place. I now have some exploring to do, the next time around. With land subjects I tend to get the best shots, using the scope, with SS around 1/500. Scope plus TC gives me 1400mm and with FLM a FOV of a 2100mm. This is a 800 pixel square crop from the shot. The moon was about 2/3 of the frame top to bottom.

DSC_2674_Moon_web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D300 with Kenko 1.4x TC with Sky-Watcher 100ED APO scope, ISO=200, SS = 1/45, f/10, then darkened and contrast increased in post.

W

Wileec

that is pretty crazy, your basically shooting with a telescope.

Yes, I am. Most people involved with digiscoping use field scopes. After many hours of research, though, I found a few people, worldwide, that were using astro scopes, not field scopes for long range photography - most shooting birds. With an astro scope, there is lot less glass between the subject and the sensor. My main interest was for shooting mammals. The biggest challenge is that it's completely manual focus and requires a lot of light (compared to the camera lenses I otherwise shoot with), but as time goes on and I get more and more trips shooting with it, I'm getting a handle on how to get the best capture using it.

Here's an update... This was around 2:30AM on 8/15/09:
2000mm, f/32, 1/4th sec, ISO800
_DSC7818.jpg

just for comparison, here's a few moon shots actually taken through a telescope (picture size has been considerably reduced).

moon4-1-9copy.gif

View attachment 390828

A composite of two shots (same moon, just couldn't fit it all in the frame)

View attachment 390829

Meade ETX90 (4" primary mirror), 1250mm fl, f/15 equivqalent and Nikon D90

-Fred

Latest threads

Top Bottom