Moon of Solana Beach

My first attempt at moon photography.
5605910244_1f34e000bb_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Mike
This is a good first attempt, but the 0.6 second exposure at f/5.6 is great for everything but the moon. Given the dynamic range between the exposure needed for a good detailed moon image and the detail of the foreground, you have to make a choice on which subject to meter. The alternative is to take several images and merge them with the HDR process of your choice.

Real Name
Mike
Thanks Mike. Appreciate the instruction.
All of my landscape attempts with a rising moon failed miserably. I didn't understand why until I realized the full moon was reflecting light that was about the same intensity as an image taken on a sunny day.

I haven't tried the HDR method, but if the weather holds out later this month, I will have an opportunity to get a similar shot as yours while the sun is still up or just about to set. On 16 April, the moon will rise in my area at 1837, with about 95 percent illumination, and the sun will set at 2021.

Mike, I reread your comments and appreciate them. I will be working at the edge of the Mohave Desert during the next full moon and will try again. Many thanks.

Les

Latest threads

Top Bottom