Moon Plant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    In our yard we have a vine known commonly as the moon plant, and this vine can grow as much as 20 feet or more. During the day it's not much to look at, mostly sporting these golf ball sized seed pods like the one here..
    As dangerous as it may look, it really isn't. Later, the seed pods dry out, split open and the plants poisonous seed fall onto the ground.
    One reason the plant has its name is because from about sunup til sundown the large blossoms remain closed..
    and only open at night, though I have seen them stay open part of the time on very cloudy, overcast days. But for the most part if they're to be seen you have to make the night visit..
    Jarrell

2. Great shots...

and what an interesting story and plant!

3. That last shot is awesome Jarrell. Just perfect!

4. The petals on the blossoms rang a bell... they're very similar to a wildflower I photographed a few years back, which was identified as a Datura inoxia.

I did a little search on Google, and, sure enough, your plant is a datura - a member of the nightshade family. Some of the American Indian tribes brewed a hallucinogenic tea from its leaves to use in their ceremonies, but sip too much of it, and you're dead :Crunk:.

Lovely photos, Jarrell!

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Beautiful.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    love the story, love the pics

Interesting plantlife, and as usual, I can tell you put your best effort into this series to make it what it is, and it shows. Your work is always excellent. ok, now, how'd you light & meter for, that last frame?

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thank you everyone. Uncle Frank, you're right as usual.. it is a member of that family of plants. I hadn't heard about the Native American 'tea', I'll bet it had a real kick.
    Steven, I've tried many times to get a shot of an open blossom outside but all where so-so pictures. I thought about running large electric extention cords out to it and arranging some lights but then I wondered if the flower would open if I brought it inside to a dark room. I set up a bucket of water, the lights, camera and tripod and did test shots for exposure on a stand-in flower. I clipped a part of the vine and put it in place and after about an hour checked and found it had indeed opened. Focusing was the more difficult part so I went to manual focus and hoped for the best. I should have turned on a light for a few seconds, manually focused and turned the lights back off. The lighting consisted of a single strobe with a spot grid over it and placed behind the flower and one strobe in front turned waaaaay down in power. That gave me a very close simulation of what I had tried to get outside.
    Jarrell