Moon shot

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Flew, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Just for fun, I ran out and took a couple of snaps of Luna this evening. Certainly nothing spectacular, but it was just too tempting to pass up.

[​IMG]

Frank

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice mooney !!!!

Mine is coverd with clouds and not attractive add to image clouds. :<(

I would like to try with the 400.

Can't imagine much difference than the 300 though. I have shots of the eclipse.

3. Amazing shot Frank, I'd print that for sure !

How exactly do you go about taking a shot of the moon ?
    I have distant memories of trying it a while back and just getting a white featureless disk :(

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the nice words guys. I was actually a little disappointed in it, because I didn't see the details that I've seen in the shots of others (and even some of my own). I then realized that this one isn't too bad considering that it is a full moon shot.

I have found that quarter to three-quarter shots turn out better for me because the shadows show up much better, giving more of a 3-D effect. Here's an example of one that I got several months ago:

[​IMG]

Paul, I was curious about your comments about my technique being different. I thought that I was shooting about the way you described. Then I looked at my EXIF. For whatever reason, it's wrong. I actually shot this at about 1/1,600th. Don't know why it shows 1/160th. I shot at the high shutter speed for just the reasons that you give. Weird. :?

Here's the (incorrect) EXIF:

Aperture: f/5.0
    ISO: 320
    Focal Length: 500mm
    Exposure Time: 0.0062s (625/100000)
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    Exposure Bias: -2.3333333333333

And (Paul) you are correct that there are much, much better examples out there. I've seen some that were taken through telescopes that will take your breath away, and some taken with normal lenses that are much better than these. ;-)

Regards,

Frank

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Are you using the Exposure Delay setting & timer?

That's by far the best way to ensure minimal camera movement. Let the mirror vibration settle, and don't touch the camera. You could of course, also use a release cable along with the Exp Delay setting. Got one of those?

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

No I'm not using these techniques. Not really sure how. Is this covered in the manual? Note that this is not an area of shooting that I get into very often, but I'd like to learn more.

Thanks,

Frank

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    "somewhere" in the menu,

Is the Exp Delay Mode. Don't ask me where, sry. doing this, along with the shutter release cable, or if you don't have one of those, the timer will completely eliminate any camera shake. Also, as someone else mentioned, properly stopping down the lens is important too. Merely pressing the shutter on a tripod mounted camera can induce enough shake to affect a distant object like a moon shot. Haven't you got a cable release... yet? ;)

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: "somewhere" in the menu,

Steve,

I'll check this out as soon as I finish breakfast. No, I don't have a shutter remote release cable. Don't need it for flying birdie shots. :lol:

Thanks!!

Frank

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Oh, I guess you don't shoot *anything* else?

You need one, trust me ;)

11. I've been trying to get hold of a remote release for my D70 since January.
    They're like gold dust down here - I think I'll have to order one from the US :(

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. I like this image, I will have to go out on the next clear night and give this a try.

14. Nice going Frank!! :D :D :D

15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    This was my best attempt with a Sigma 50-500 and Sigma 2x TC. Below it is a pic of my setup for this shot. I still got some shake from the mirror. It would be nice to have MLU in the D70. :( I have seen people use bean bags to help with shake. Does anyone have information on this method?

Thanks in advance.
    Charles

12152397-L.

12152426-L.

16. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Charles,

The shutter shake can be minumized in my (shhh) Minolta 7d by a function that lifts the mirror and pauses before the sensor is activated. Haven't tried it yet.

Love your idea for the tripod. I've been seriously thinking along the same lines. Is that a standard survey "pod" without the tribrac? is the mounting plate something you made or can order. Where can I find these on the web for a look see. What brand did you pick. What is that extra rod from the camera to the leg? more support? I'm thinking about matching this type up with the gimbal mounts. Wouldn't want to lug it around in the woods much.

Sorry for all the questions but I like this idea even more now that someone else has perfected it.

17. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The only thing I wish the D70 had is a shutter delay or MLU. My wife and I have a survey supply store here in Denver so this setup came easy. The tripod is a standard survey wood/fiberglass. It is very heavy, but rigid and strong. Next I need to find some rubber feet for the tripod.

Link to tripod.
    Link to tripod adapter. This goes from 5/8x11 to 1/4x20.
    Then used this reducer to adapt to my Bogen 468RC4 head.

The extra support you see is a Bogen long lens support. It does ok, but I am going to try using 2 tripods next. One for the lens and one for the camera. That should be fun aiming. :shock:

Here is a list of SECO dealers in your area.

Hope this helps.

Charles

18. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    charles, thanks for the info. I'll check it out next time I'm in Nashville.

As to the long lens support have you given any thought to having a local machinist machine a solid piece of stainless or aluminum that perfectly matches the lens body combo? It would have an offset to account for the body being higher. Then set up a slot at the balance point for final balance. you could also use the larger mounting bolts. Do you think this would be good enough to stop the same motion that the extra rod or double tripod would get.

19. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Greg,

I have thought of doing that exact thing and there is a CNC machine shop close to me. The problem I see is that you would have only 1 locking point at the ball head, in my case. It seems to me that the mirror shake should be treated like a harmonic problem since it happens within a certain shutter speed range. Much like the barrel of a rifle carries the harmonic vibration down its length and loses accuracy. In the case of mirror shake I think 2 points of contact will be better than one. That is why I want to test with 2 heavy tripods.

What do you think or my idea?

Charles

20. Boy am I disappointed, Harris told mt check out this thread that Frank was mooning an uncooperative GBH and what do I get to see, well it is about the same color!
    Nice shot Frank