Critique Moonrise at Fermilab

Real Name
Andy
It has been a couple years since I tried this capture. It was very clear (and bitterly cold) today so it seemed like a good opportunity to give it another crack. This time, I shot multiple frames to get both the moon and the metal sculpture in focus. The stacked image is cropped just enough to straighten it. Finally, I took some extra liberty in post processing to increase the orange glow coming from the setting sun behind camera.

"Moonrise at Fermilab"
Fermilab_20191210_16_130681_19C_7075_20_images_stacked.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's a very interesting photograph. As usual, I think I would prefer the color version, but it might be interesting to see it in monochrome.

To me it would be an even stronger composition if the moon were a little further toward the NW corner of the frame. But I do realize that the moon is not a prop that you can arbitrarily relocate and I don't know what other constraints you might have faced.

Excellent job of getting everything in focus.

Real Name
Chris
Beautiful job with the stack. I do like the contrast in colors you chose to accentuate. I think it would work either way, but I do think this is an excellent candidate for B&W as well!

Real Name
Andy
To me it would be an even stronger composition if...
I did try quite a few compositions. Here are some of the others:
Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 8.23.24 AM.png

Real Name
Chris
I really like the contrast and luminosity of the moon on the last one. I know it’s too late now, but how cool would it have been to have shot the whole transit across the frame with that structure! They all are great though and really can’t go wrong with any of them. I like the idea you toyed with by placing the moon in one of the cut outs, very creative.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I agree about image 4:15:53.....and I also like the strong composition of 4:20:31 although it might be stronger if the far right bridge circle were not cut off.

Real Name
Andy
I agree about image 4:15:53.....and I also like the strong composition of 4:20:31 although it might be stronger if the far right bridge circle were not cut off.
Karen, I actually worked on that image a bit before deciding to go with the one at the top of the post. It absolutely would be better if the circle in the sculpture at the right side of the frame were whole. This is a 5-image stack. After the first one I realized that the focal points between the sculpture and the moon were completely unnecessary and simply wasted computing effort and waiting time. Here it is:
Fermilab_20191210_16_202801_19C_7181-Edit.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Karen, I actually worked on that image a bit before deciding to go with the one at the top of the post. It absolutely would be better if the circle in the sculpture at the right side of the frame were whole. This is a 5-image stack. After the first one I realized that the focal points between the sculpture and the moon were completely unnecessary and simply wasted computing effort and waiting time. Here it is:
View attachment 1651338
With such a great subject, it is always nice to "play" with both horizontal and vertical compositions. Well done!

Latest threads

Top Bottom