Critique Moonset, Aurora, Colorado

Real Name
Andy
This morning's moon setting over the Rockies inspired an homage to the iconic Ansel Adams photograph...

1. Edit #2
Moonset_21D_7287-Edit-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Edit #1 (original post)
Moonset_21D_7287-Edit.jpg

3. SOOC (unedited, uncropped)
Moonset_21D_7287.jpg

Last edited:
Nice image with a nice feel.
IMHO the bright signs?, poles and stuff along the left side of the image detract a lot. 2min with the clone tool and these are gone. I would leave the fence.
Same thing with the couple of poles in front of the mountains.
Adams did a lot more post processing than this to him images.
Take a look at his moonrise over hernandez image. He printed that several different ways- it got darker and more contrasted in the later editions.
On the original image the sky is light grey.
gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Well seen and captured!

My comments are how I might process this image.....but the photographer is the best one to decide how to process the image to reflect what HE wants the viewer to see, feel......

To me, it appears a bit dark. I think of the full moon as lighting up the landscape....don't know if that is how it was or how you want the image.

To me, the empty sky above the moon does not contribute much to the image. I would try a pano crop, similar to this:

Moonset_21D_7287-Edit_KP.jpg

Real Name
Andy
I really like the minimalist characteristic of the right half of the image. Do you by any chance have any photos that display more to the right and eliminate the scenery on the left half of this image?
I only made two exposures before the moon was washed out completely by the rising sun. This is actually already a significant crop. I’ll post the unedited image later - I’d love to hear your additional thoughts after you see it.

Real Name
Andy
Beautiful atmosphere, Andy!
I also like the fence that is kind of leading the way to the moon over the mountains.
Thanks, Bart. I was trying to use that element in the composition. In fact, the light was really not cooperating and I didn’t have a long enough lens on hand, so this was largely a post processing exercise.

Real Name
Andy
Nice image with a nice feel.
IMHO the bright signs?, poles and stuff along the left side of the image detract a lot. 2min with the clone tool and these are gone. I would leave the fence.
Same thing with the couple of poles in front of the mountains.
Adams did a lot more post processing than this to him images.
Take a look at his moonrise over hernandez image. He printed that several different ways- it got darker and more contrasted in the later editions.
On the original image the sky is light grey.
gary
Thanks, Gary. I was thinking about the Master when I took liberties in post. As I mentioned above, I’ll post the original later, and further critique will be much appreciated!

Real Name
Andy
Well seen and captured!

My comments are how I might process this image.....but the photographer is the best one to decide how to process the image to reflect what HE wants the viewer to see, feel......

To me, it appears a bit dark. I think of the full moon as lighting up the landscape....don't know if that is how it was or how you want the image.

To me, the empty sky above the moon does not contribute much to the image. I would try a pano crop, similar to this:
Thanks, Karen!

I’m starting to recognize that you gravitate to the “pano look” and indeed, I think that improves this composition. You’re also astute to recognize the dark feel. Since I was trying to channel Ansel’s wisdom in “The Camera” I exposed with the final image in mind. The rising sun was quickly spoiling the details in the moon, so I underexposed.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Karen!

I’m starting to recognize that you gravitate to the “pano look” and indeed, I think that improves this composition. You’re also astute to recognize the dark feel. Since I was trying to channel Ansel’s wisdom in “The Camera” I exposed with the final image in mind. The rising sun was quickly spoiling the details in the moon, so I underexposed.
LOL! Being mainly a wildlife and/or architectural photographer, I typically stick with a 3:2 aspect ratio....BUT.....I never process an image that I don't consider exactly how cropping might improve the image, regardless of subject. In wildlife shots, I sometimes use a square crop, but don't use a square as often in landscapes.

When I look at an image, I think about composition and whether all the elements of the image (including the aspect ratio) strengthen the subject. I may suggest a different crop if I think the crop can improve an image.

Real Name
Andy

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom