Moose Peterson Bags

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by papa85, Aug 26, 2005.

1. papa85

papa85 Guest

Anyone know someone or have them self seen the Moose Peterson MP5 bag it is their newest bag. It is a 3 in 1 bag. Wonder how it would be??? Take a look and give me your comments please.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/mp5.html

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well, At times many criticize the cost and I have been bashed over at the other forums for my choice of bags, but I have both the MP3 and the MP5. They are the best roadtrip/car airline travel bags I have ever owned. first the MP3 my favorite of the bags.

In my MP3c I carry my 200-400VR, 180mm 2.8, 12-24DX, 50mm 1.4, 24-120VR, 300mm f4 AFS, 1.4 teleadpater (with room for the 1.7 when I get it) two D70 cameras with lenses attached, whibal cards, sidekick arm, kirk neck strap, 4-5 filters, busines cards, CF card reader, a short extension cord, lens cleaning stuff, lens brush, rocket blower, 3 extra batteries, a d70 battery charger, all of the d70 cords that came with the camera, D70 manual, and I also have room for the External 60 GB FW drive in the camera bag for when I attach the laptop case to the outside of the bag.

This way I can carry everything for a month long road trip in the truck or airline in one bag, the ability with my laptop to store and backup all of my images, and If I need to lighten and carry the pack out in the field the lenses, filters, batteries stay in the bag and everything else goes out, and it is very light. It holds more than any other bag it's size. It is not for rough and tumble backpacking, and photo hiking.

In the MP5 for light day trips I carry the 300AFS attached to the D70, D70 with 24-120VR, 50mm 1.4, 1.4 tele, and 12-24 DX and filters and spare batteries, and lens cleaning stuff. I don't use the MP5 straps, instead I use it as a shoulder bag with my lowepro shoulder strap from my 600AW bag. works great. You will need a good after market shoulder strap to work well as a shoulder bag. A bit of a negative in my opinion.

I also tend to disconnect the long lens side and it holds my D70 with 300AFS very well and works great as a throw in the car for quick tele work, and the other side I carry into buildings and use as a low light lens kit. Now I did rave about the MP3, and in my opinion it is the best of all their bags, but the MP5 is nice too, however there are other bags in the same size that can carry almost as much gear. One other flaw, the straps are not padded and it costs $ for the pads. In my humble and biased opinion, the MP3 is a 10 and the MP5 is a six to seven for usefullness and value. I would like to have had the MP5 be around 30-50 less to be nearly enthusiastic as the MP3.

it is pricey, but it has lifetime warranty against major problems.

Cheers,

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  3. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Just looking at your gear, it would all easily fit into the MP3 with room to spare.

The MP3 could serve as your "base station" and the MP5 as the carry everything else except the big 300 2.8 gun.

(no I don't work for Moose, I just like to tell folks about good products)

MY 300AFS is just nearly the same length as the 70-200.

Wade

4. papa85

papa85 Guest

Mp3

Hi Wade ,
    I can second everything you said about the MP3, Because I also own one and have for 8 months. It has been all over with me ,cars plains and a upcoming boat trip. I usually carry it on one shoulder. Quality is top notch still looks as new as the day I got it. They are expensive. I added a (Domke 4 section insert) in one of the smaller sections it fits perfectly, really works out great. you might want to try the setup.

Question I have is on the MP5 bag is it comfortable using it as a backpack? :QuestionM
    Also as a fannypac is it useful? :QuestionM

5. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Tony,

Great minds think alike, in regards to above, fannypack, just OK, I would like to have had the fanny side be on the short lens side too. It is only on long lens side. MP5 as backpack with straps they give you...maybe for 1/4 mile at most.

Shoulder bag with padded strap, several miles.

Wade