Moose Welcome(back) to the Hood

Real Name
Dan
I haven't posted in a few days as we've been moving our household. We moved back to the neighborhood on a mountainside where we sold our home four years ago after I was laid off from my job. We loved both the neighborhood and our home but with an uncertain future and a financial benefit of selling(separation package) we sold out and moved to a rental home in an area with lower property costs. Last month some friends of ours who own a rental home in the same neighborhood contacted us to let us know it was coming open. After some discussion we decided to go for it and returned to the old neighborhood just two doors down from our previous home. Yesterday was our first morning waking up in the new place and we found this guy laying in the back yard. It was a nice welcome gift. One of those little God winks that you made the right decision.

1) Not the best time of year for photographing moose. They haven't yet recovered from the winter weight loss(up to 1/3 their body weight) and are looking shabby in the process of shedding the winter coat.
p3907457143-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) I noticed this guy looked like he was really laboring to breath while laying there. A few minutes later he stood up to start feeding again and was still breathing heavily. When he turned around it revealed this huge battle scar over his ribs. It was obviously a major injury presumably from being gored in a fight with another bull. Combined with the labored breath it made me wonder whether the big guy is getting by on one lung.
p3907457136-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Dan
Welcome to your new home in your beloved neighborhood! How cool is that to be greeted on your first morning by the sight of a moose in the yard?! Wow, that's a nasty looking scar -- you may be right that he's managing with just one lung now. Amazing that he's even still alive!
It is amazing that guy survived such a serious wound. There is a valley just above us here where dozens of moose gather for the rut. The bulls have some epic fights and it is very common to see them limping around. The brown bears have figured this out and they hang around to prey on the wounded warriors.
cool shot and congrats on moving back
Thanks, Randy. Glad to be back in the burbs here where the wildlife comes to visit.
Who cares if you don't know what day it is—you know where you are and you know who loves you :D
Amen on that.
I'm sure Grace loves the new home, too!
Grace it definitely loving it. Housing is spread out enough and she stays around well enough that we can let her sun out on the deck unsupervised. Though we do have to keep an eye on her as the rabbits are having a banner year up here.
Great that you were able to return to your old neighborhood.
Thanks, Allan. We may start having second thoughts along about Thanksgiving. We have some epic storms up this high.

Latest threads

Top Bottom