1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Moraira Spain, "miniature" effect from compact camera

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by MortyCapp, Apr 19, 2019.

1. I took my Canon Powershot SX220 HS (mouthful of a name) for a walk this morning.
    After all these years I found out it has a sub menu with special effects filters.
    I used to like the "miniature" and selected it.
    This is a scene I have taken with my DSLRs and film cameras too.

What do you think?

IMG_1556.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Other than a narrow slice of rooftops, it all seems OOF and lacks a subject. All the OOF areas sorta' hurt my eyes. Maybe the effect might be better on a different image.....maybe.....

3. Thanks for the feedback.
    Quite right, the camera has no viewfinder and under the sun the LCD backscreen is not very accurate.
    I'll try to get closer to the houses on the right tomorrow and see if the effect works on single subject, although I doubt it was designed for this.

The miniature effect, as I understand it, creates the OoO to make it look like a miniature.
    In this camera instead of a tilt and shift lens it is algorithm driven.

Similar to this one.
    The kids like it but I suspect it is a bit of a gimmick after a while.

IMG_1558.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Strange name for the filter. "Miniature" means "very small" to me.....NOT OOF.

5. The name comes from the fact that it is supposed to make the scene look like a miniature reproduction, it works very well with trains, cars, airports etc..
    Miniature faking - Wikipedia

6. IMO the blur spoils both images. But as you have already said, the blur effect might go well with some other types of images.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.