Moral dilemma : help and advice required <wink>

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clivegriff, Mar 14, 2005.

1. I'm inspired to write this by Flew's "mentally ill" thread which has reassured me that I'm among fellow irresponsibles...

I have proved - many times - in the past that I have no respect for credit card companies and their credit limits mean zilch to me.

As a result of past indiscretions, I now have to get each and every plastic usage signed off in advance by my Chief Finance Officer, the dear lady who rejoices in the title SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed. AKA my wife.

Anyway...my computer has packed up: five weeks out of guarantee. And this after I paid extra for the reassurance of a state-of-the-art machine by a top brand. I won't name them here, it wouldn't be fair to brand them for the rip-off merchants I now know them to be, but their name starts with S, ends in Y and has O and N in the middle. They demand 12.50 GBP just to allow you to speak to one of their call centre operatives who knows as much about computers as I know about ballet dancing. And I know SFA about ballet dancing.

So it's gone in for repair (10 -15 working days - yeah, right) and I'm having to limp along on SWMBO's doorstop er... I mean laptop.

My solution: tell S--Y to take a running jump, put it down to experience, put it behind us and move on. Which translates as: let's buy a new system. Now.

SWMBO is having none of it. We only have to wait until S--Y repair and return it and all will be well.

It's that word "wait" that I'm having all the difficulty with.

Yesterday, during our daily row about the computer - or lack of it - she said "I'd rather you spent money on a new lens for your camera".

Oh, the poor deluded girl. Has she any idea what she's said?

Do I go for it and order the 80-200 VR or let her off lightly with a 85 f/1.4?

:twisted:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Clive,

No question what I would do, and my advice to you is to strike while the iron is hot.... :lol:

Get the good one. 8)

Frank

PS - I also have a SWMBO.... :oops: :p

3. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Plan B:

1. Get screwdriver from toobox.

2. Sit in front of SWMBO's laptop.

3. Imitate shower scene from Psycho.

4. Oh dear, I seemed to have destroyed the laptop.

5. Two broken computers = TWO new lenses doesn't it?

Get both.

Neil

4. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I feel your pain! :(
    I also suffer from the wrath of a SWMBO.
    I recently deceided to upgrade from a D100 to a D2H while the D100 still has some value and also to take advantage of the present price point of the D2H.
    I convinced my wife that it wouldn't cost anything as I would sell the old camera and a few lenses that I really didn't use anymore to pay for the new camera. Well, after (6) ebay auctions I have made enough to completely pay for the new camera. This morning my wife announces that I should use the money to pay some household bills and to not buy the new camera. (which will be delivered today!)
    When I bought my D100 she didn't talk to me for 2 weeks :D
    I guess tonight won't be pretty when I get home :(

5. If the "SHE"FO of the Daniel household said that and I had the money................VR!! VR!! VR!! VR!! :D :D :D :D :D

You have both.....GO FOR IT!!! :D :D :D :D

6. Both are nice lenses, I wouldn't push your luck and just go for one of them. Which one depends on your style of shooting. No sense in getting your wife ticked on once again. By the way dinner and flowers for your wife might also be in order.

7. Where would we be without 'em?

I dunno about you - but I'd be in PC World.

8. Good plan.

I knew if we waited long enough there'd be a sensible post from you sooner or later.

:lol:

9. Bonus!

10. Isn't it sooooooooo easy to follow advice when you really want to anyway?

11. I'd like to, but with a bit of luck I won't be able to afford either!

12. Hi Clive....
    This is just to funny.....

13. Hi Doug

I'll share my decision with you first.

After I was foolish enough to show her this thread, I've been given some insight into what SWMBO will do with either lens.

This has caused me to opt for whichever has the smaller circumference.

14. Just decide what you want and I'll bring it over at months end for you....
    Mind you when I deliver it I will just leave it on the step.... as I won't want to see the blood bath that will result....lol

15. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Oh carp! I was hoping that wait would be much, much longer.

As to your wife's response and your resultant new-found desire to ensure your choice has a comfortable circumference, I'd just like to say that I do NOT feel your pain and have no intention of empathising.

Neil

Neil

16. Dave,

I've also contemplated selling my D100. Is it worth it to do this through Ebay? I'm an Ebay "virgin" and it seems like you have to be a long-time "player" to not get screwed there.

I haven't even fondled the D100 in a week and when I look at it in the pocket of the Lowepro bag, instead of seeing a trusty friend I see dollar signs. What a heel I am! Two and a half years of faithful service and now I see it as a revenue source for my next lens.....I am hopeless!

Anyway, down to brass tacks. Is Ebay the best way to sell the camera?

Anyone?

Rich :?:

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    R O F L M A O !!!!!!!!!!!!

18. WHAT??? It's just plastic and metal and stuff. :lol:

Rich

19. I'm not one to give advice on Ebay but with all of the recent problems others have had with Ebay that I have read, I'm beginning to wonder if it is a good selling source anymore. I would try the newspaper or a trading post paper first and ask for cash. [/i]
    Rich :?:[/quote]

20. Clive, Clive, Clive....

Clive, Clive, Clive !!!! What is the problem here? You been drinking Fosters or something? I mean, come on, who the heck wears the pants in your family anyway/ I've been married longer than half of the folks who inhabit the earth these days, to the same lady I'll have you know, and that doesn't happen by accident. I KNOW, no doubt at all where the pants hang around my house, and I make no bones about it. That having been said, and I feel much better now:

1. You just won a lottery/office pool/whatever
    2. The reapir on you S-oops, "no name computer" is much cheaper than a new one
    3. Set aside some beer and darts money, I know that will be really hard for you, but we are all behind you
    4. Quit being a piker and put your foot down, be a MAN for crying out loud
    5. Listen to the Man Song, if you don't have it I'll be happy to send it along
    6. Explain how badly you REALLY need that 500mm, but you can "make do" with the 70-200. It will be tough, but you can do it.
    7. Fly to New York, with the wife of course, to buy it here. Since the US dollar sucks you should get such a great deal that she gets a vacation
    8. Buy flowers and jewelry for her, she won't notice the credit card then

See, you just need to be creative. Give it a shot, let us know how it all works out will you so we can try it too?????? :wink: