More 1 day sandhill cranes

I previously posted images of the birth day of colts. Those were taken at a spot almost next to a main road near a golf course. The nest was very accessible but once the colts left the nest it would be hard to photograph the family.
These images were taken at another site. Though it is still near roads they site allowed one to watch the colts as they moved off the nest.
Anyway ..

1. The 2 babies have been born but the parent is keeping them warm - this was taken shortly after sunrise
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2.The 2nd parent came back to the nest and watched the little ones "feeling alive"

3. One colt by itself while its sibling was a few feet away

4. The colts are playing (I guess) but even at a day old they both want to show they can dominate the other..

5. Parent watching

6. Sun comes out behind clouds back lighting the colts

They are so cute and they nest out in the open. This year I had to leave to return home when the colts were less than a week old, but they continue to be great to shoot because the parents and colts spend 24/7 with each other for more than a month. In 2017 I was there to see the first month's progress.

If you go to this page you will see several threads I started.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom