More Assorted Animals

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Ron Reznick, Jun 9, 2007.

1. I've put about 90 shots of asst. critters in a folder here... may be worth a visit sometime if you've got the urge:

http://www.digital-images.net/temp/SelectAnimals_sRGB/

Some samples:

Bighorn F. portrait, shot just south of Gardiner, MT, 70-200 AFS/VR @ 120mm, f/8:
    [​IMG]

Black Bear, munching berries, between Roosevelt/Tower Junction and Tower Falls in Yellowstone, 500mm @ f/4, ISO400
    [​IMG]

Coyote, near Roosevelt/Tower Junction, 850mm wide open @ f/6.7
    [​IMG]

Elk Portrait (Charger), up close and personal, near Madison Junction, Yellowstone, 300mm @ f/4
    [​IMG]

River Otter, Madison R., West Yellowstone, 700mm @ f/5.6
    (just after shooting this, I was charged by a herd of bison rampaging down the riverbank and had to hide in front of a tree with the tripod, etc. The herd split around the tree. Close one, documented by Craig and Susan Hilton, who saw them earlier and boogied up the riverbank -- the River Otter seems to be saying: "See ya!"... I thought it would make a good sign-off).
    [​IMG]

Ron

2. I do not recall ever hearing of ANYBODY (except in movies of course) being charged by a herd of Buffalo. It must be exciting to hang with you ! ;~))
    Love the shots and am headed to the folder now

3. That's funny...the otter wasn't about to hang around, was he? I have shared some of your threads with my significant other/hopefully future wife, in preparing her that I would like to train under you at some point in the future.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent...
    Mighty close for some of them:>)))))

5. Hi Dave,

The bank of the Madison R. gets pretty narrow right through that area, and the bison were moving at about 15mph or so when I saw them a hundred feet down the bank or thereabouts. While they were just on the move, when 20 or more 2000lb critters are heading at you down a very narrow riverbank, even if their intentions are not hostile it still seems as if they are charging. I grabbed my stuff and scooted to the nearest tree.

[​IMG]

I've been inside bison herds before with no trouble -- for instance, the baby bison (week old) that I was shooting below was outside the herd with mama, but the herd wandered over and essentially surrounded me during the period I was shooting. I watched the bull carefully, and he stopped several times on the way to eat grass calmly. When I realized that I was becoming surrounded, I slowly moved away from the bull to the nearest gap and out. They never got aroused... but then I never allowed myself to get between the baby and the herd either.

[​IMG]

The otters were in the river, Mason. They were never in any trouble...

Ron

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ron making self invisable:>)))
    lolol
    Hello tree, i love you

7. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Here in Oregon, we call you a "a tree hugger":), and don't think for a moment I wouldn't been by the tree too.

Very nice work Ron. Great eye.

8. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Ron,

Good to see you back in the mix. And the animal shots are superb as usual. Your exposure, focus and composition are always right on. I'm still learning from your work.

Were these Yellowstone images shot this year? Or when we were there together last?

Weinzimmer and I went to the Outer Banks two weeks ago (Worley, Campoli and I were there in February), and a sub-group of the BABB went to Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon and Zion last month. We certainly miss your presence.

Joe

9. Hi Joe,

These were culled from some shots taken a while ago that I never got around to processing. I've been processing a lot of that sort of thing lately. My hard drives are full of stuff like this, and it had to be taken care of.

I got a call from Bernie before (and during) the trip. Sorry I couldn't make it. Really. Sounds as if it was a lot of fun.

Ron

10. Quite a story Ron and the shots match it, just love em all keep em coming!

11. Very interesting story and another excellent set of images Ron.

Louie

12. Hi Ron

These are fantastic pictures, i am trying to apply your full 5 DVD course as best as i can and hoping to get close to those results one day.
    Great work

13. Gorgeous images Ron, I love the light in the elk image.
    Geezzz, those bison are different then what I encountered in the Rockies a few years back. I wanted to take some shots of a bison herd and they just kept cowering away from me like a bunch of chicken! But given the choice I like that better then have them rush around me...:smile:

14. Wonderful shots, Ron. The portrait of the Bighorn is excellent. I loved the story of the buffalo, too. Thanks so much for sharing with us.