More Bears

Real Name
Dan
Finally had a few minutes to go through some more of my shots from last week at Katmai NP. I took the following shot just to show how many bears there were. There are nine in this frame and there were a total of 16 in view when I took the shot. Some of the less dominant bears fish further downstream and there were a couple visible in the bushes above the river sleeping off the heavy meal they just finished. None of the bears in this shot are the truly massive dominant males. These are your average bruins around 800lb (350kg) each.

p1809855975-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In this next shot one of the big(over 1000lb) bruisers is in the frame. For reference the bear in the middle of these three is the same bear at middle top of frame in the previous shot(note the patterns of bald/molting patches in the fur). In the previous shot he is occupying the prime spot held by the larger bear in this shot.

p1813524198-4.jpg

The bear in the bottom of the previous frame occupied the same spot just downstream of that tree branch the entire time that I was there. He had an interesting method of fishing. I never saw him catch a fish but every time another bear caught one he would dash over and sit there woefully moaning while the other bear ate. His tactic worked as every once in a while one of the dominant bears would strip the prime cuts from a fish then drop it for this guy to finish. Here is "Panhandler" in action.

p1824790675-4.jpg

All of the bears carry many scars from disagreements like this.

p1797783912-4.jpg

Here is a little more artsy version of a group scene.

p1811200890-4.jpg

I'll post more detailed single bear shots after I do some more editing.

Real Name
Luis Casals
WOW, great set of shots. What a treat to be able to witness such beauty. Love the last shot.

Real Name
Dan
Thanks for looking, folks. It's an interesting place to be sure. There is so much going on sometimes that it gets frustrating because you simply can't cover it all. In retrospect if/when I go back I would concentrate on one animal at a time and simply ignore everything else. I suspect everyone has the same reaction the first time seeing so many bears together at the same time.

Real Name
Dan
Thanks, folks.

Wonderful!!! Curious as to how far back you were from the bears?
Access is limited to elevated viewing platforms built on pilings much like a wharf. I would estimate it to be about 200ft across the river. At times bears literally walked under the platform. So that it the variation in shooting range. Due to the angle of the elevated platform it was difficult to get good shots of the closer bears.

Real Name
Dan
Thanks, guys. If you're ever planning a trip to Alaska in late June or any time in July, it is worth the trip. But I'd only do it if I could stay overnight. People who go over on a day trip spend about $600 and may only get an hour or two of time to shoot the bears.

Latest threads

Top Bottom