1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

More big news (sad/shocking).

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JakeEbersole, Aug 18, 2009.

1. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    I found out today that my neighbor was killed in an ATV accident. He likes to ride it up and down the alley going really fast around midnight. On sunday night he was flying up and down the alley, lost control, and hit a tree. He was lifeflighted and died last night. What's up with all this death?

2. As sad as his death is, it wasn't really an accident. He took a chance behaving carelessly and the foreseeable finally happened.

Larry

3. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    True. I even had to call the cops on saturday night because he was racing through. The guy was a jerk with no consideration.

4. Every year, approximately 400,000 young Americans loose their lives to accidents. Indeed, accidents such as the one you talked about, are the main cause of death between 18-25 years of age.
    In many of these accidents alcohol and drugs are involved.
    It does not seem this trend will reverse any time soon.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

5. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Sorry for his family but that was going to happen sooner or later. And if it was my alley .........

6. NYracefan

NYracefan

Nov 19, 2008
    Highland,NY
    People have been acting stupid since the beginning of time, no reason to think this will change anytime soon.

If he was tearing around an alley on an ATV at Midnight, I am guessing some sort of intoxication was involved. One can only tempt fate for so long before it grabs you.

7. There is a reason why EMT personnel and police (AND insurance companies) no longer call these accidents here in Canada. They call them collisions. An accident is something which can't be avoided. This was just waiting to happen eventually, he ran out of luck. Nice to inflict that sort of noise on neighbours at midnight!!???

"What's up with all this death?" It's stupid people doing stupid things. There will always be consequences, sorry to say.

8. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
    I was going to say what Sandi said.

9. Tim W

Tim W

Mar 10, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Death is everywhere, everyday, just not necessarily so close to home. People in third world countries would be far more used to this than us I suspect.

10. One can only hope that his family donated his organs so that something good comes out of this tragedy

Karl

11. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I don't believe much in accidents, it is 99% of the time preventable and almost always due to stupidity.

12. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    Yeah. This guy is a big drinker and he's got the party plates to prove it. Saturday night he went and bought 4 cases of bear then a half hour later came back with 4 more. They are loud and have no respect. I'm sorry the guy died, but he could have avoided it.

13. Thats a lot of Bear!

14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven are widely credited with popularising an expression from a bumper sticker :

Raise the speed limit. Think of it as evolution in action.​

Sad that somebody actually lived the epigram in full measure. However terribly briefly, at least... :mad: 

John P.

P.S. For those S-F geeks and geekettes who can't recall the source of the reference, see Oath of Fealty.

15. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    sorry to hear that.

16. Drive like hell and you'll get there. I attended a Motor Vehicle CRASH one night. The road curved, he didnt. Launched a Porche up the end of a guard rail (Sloped like a ramp) at over 200 kms per hour. He was self extricating as he wasnt buckled in. I wont go into more detail as it wasnt pretty... Interesting but not pretty.
    I am sorry, if there was alcohol involved, I find it hard to feel pity or empathy. If anyone ever saw 1/100th of what Police, Fire, EMS see; they would never drink and drive again.
    End Rant... sorry folks I've seen more than I care to remember. My curse is some I can't forget and some I'll not remember...

17. For so many years, there has been education done by the governments. About drinking and driving, smoking, etc.

Has it all been in vain?

18. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

Jan 30, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Two friends of mine, both close, one was a roommate, were killed the day after Christmas 2004 on their snowmobiles. Drunk, riding stupid, at night on a lake they weren't familliar with, and hit a cable that cordoned off an open area of water despite the fact that it was marked with reflectors.

Broke one guy's neck and decapitated the other.

As wrenching as it was to lose two of your good friends at once, I knew that they had it coming with their reckless ways. Play with fire long enough and you are bound to get burned...

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I can relate, it is no fun to be the friend left behind.

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Jake, as Sandi said, your neighbor's death was his fault and his fault alone. He brought it upon himself. That's sad, but hardly unexpected.

On the very other hand, your brother's tragic death was unexpected, and not in any way his fault. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.