More birds from Stone Harbor and Cape May

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

You are probably wondering if I ever will stop posting images from this outing. All I can say it was a really productive day, with lots of variety, and there will be only one more after this. So here goes -

This is a very unorthodox Great White Egret shot to put it mildly. But I like the pose - the symmetry of the leg and bill, and the scratching behavior. Who cares if you can't see eyes or bill?

Another Egret image. These guys threatened each other for several minutes, and the guy on the left finally won.

View attachment 14796

This Semipalmated Plover speaks for itself. (Question - How many of you say "plover" and how many "pluver"?)

View attachment 14797

Yeah, I know that gulls rank behind vultures and just ahead of worms, but I like this image because of the symmetry of the birds and the textures and colors.

View attachment 14798

Why is this lousy image of a Glossy Ibis here. Well, if you had spent well over an hour trying to capture this guy under horrible circumstance - backlit, high contrast, and plenty of vegetation to hide behind, you would post the best of the bunch too.

View attachment 14799

Gordon

2. Nice series Gordon! Luv the 2nd shot.............look forward to seeing more :smile:

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Keith. Don't worry, there will be more. And I took about 300 shots today which I haven't even begun to process yet!

Gordon

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice series Gordon. What lens did you use for these?

5. Looks liek a great outing love the 2nd egret shot, almost tiem for a trip to Bombay Hook gettign to be my favorite tiem of the year

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Frank. I used my 200-400VR at 400 with a TC-17. It's a combo that I've become very comfortable with and I think the results have been pretty good.

Gordon

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Mike - it was a great outing. Stone Harbor / Cape May should really start jumping over the next few weeks. Let me know when you want to head to Bombay Hook. One of my favorite places.

Gordon

8. Thanks for sharing this series of shots Gordon. Like the others, my favorite is the second one. It is sharp with nice color and reflections in the water.

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Beautiful series, Gordon! The more I see shots with the 200-400, the more it raises the lens lust level! It will take an awful lot to move that thing out of the number one spot on my list! Now if they'd just lower the price a bunch! :smile:

BTW, I think your first 2 shots are Snowy Egrets.

Great shots!

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Gordon,

Never get tired of the birdie images.

That is a snowey egret and that behavior is quite typical for them. They are fresh to, king of the hill. lolol

Great series of birds and they are all nice, no lowly birds.

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gordon. It's always a pleasure to share images here. I do wish folks would take more seriously their critiques - what they like or don't like and why. Like you did with #2 which, BTW, I agree with.

Gordon

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Don. I checked Sibley and he agrees with your ID. Funny no one else picked that up. I'm still in the "shoot first and check Sibley afterward" stage, and I forgot the second part. :redface:

I'm afraid I can't do anything to protect your bank account as I love the 200-400. I've been shooting with a buddy who was using the 500/4 with a TC-14 on it, while I had a TC-17 on the 200-400. So he was out there 700mm, and I was at 680mm. I think my images are sharper. Of course he could have put the TC-17 on his 500, but I think the image quality would have been greater. And I have one huge advantage - when needed, I can rachet back thes 200-400 to 200mm when I can get close to large birds or when I want to get a bird in flight in my viewfinder before zooming out again.

Gordon

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale. I'm glad you like birdie pix, because I like taking them! FYI, you are only the second person to correct my ID on the egret! :smile:

Gordon