More birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Ibn, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Very nice weather today so I went out chasing more birds. :-D Also, wanted to test out how the D70 will do at higher ISOs.

ISO 400s
    DSC_2317a.

DSC_2318a.

DSC_2319a.

ISO 800s
    DSC_2347a.

DSC_2355a.

DSC_2362a.

DSC_2363a.

DSC_2382a.

DSC_2399a.

DSC_2405a.

Heavily cropped. I think it's a peregrine falcon.
    DSC_2383a.

Another heavy crop. Not sure on the ID of this bird here. Looks like a northern harrier.
    DSC_2387a.

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Nice shots Eric,

Interesting to see that you use Matrix metering on your sky shots and bump the EV down -.3, -.6, or -1 with pretty good results.

which focus mode are you using? and are you using constant shutter or single?

I tend to use spot meter, or center weighted, with multiple frames per second set. Do you use closet subject at all with your matrix metering?

Just inquiring as to some new tricks i may try.

I also recommend noise ninja or any other good noise reduction on higher ISO sky shots. Noise in the D70 is probably worse for me on blue skies. I almost prefer dark curtains inside theatres to higher ISo blue skies! lol

Wade

3. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, Wade. These were all taken on aperture priority on autofocus and in AF-C (continuous focusing). I'm using the AE-L/AF-L to focus and then the shutter to snap these pictures (works well in AF-C). I usually underexpose the picture a bit as to not blow out the highlights. I then just fine tune the exposure in Nikon Capture (still usually negative).

Nope, don't use closest object with the matrix metering. I use dynamic area and not sure if it makes a difference. Does it?

They've actually been run through NN2 beforehand. The last two are noisier than the others due to heavy cropping. Take the falcon for example. Here's the original.

DSC_2383b.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Eric,

More very nice captures. You have the flying birdie tracking process down pat. It is unusual to see sky shots with negative EV comp with matrix metering. I usually have to go to level, or even plus values to get dark birds exposed against a bright sky. Yours certainly came out excellent. :wink:

5. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, Frank. Still need more practice on tracking smaller birds and doing some work with the tripod/ballhead (other than the two perched birds, the rest were taken handheld). I was actually out there trying to track some sparrows in flight, but gave up after a short while. These other guys were around, so I took these instead.

As for negative EV with matrix metering, I dunno. I haven't taken any classes and barely read the manual. I usually shoot on even EV. When I was out there and looking at the pictures, the whites were getting overexposed, so I went negative to preserve the details.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Eric,

I wouldn't call those substantial or heavy crops, I would call them MONSTER crops, lol :) no wonder I saw some noise!

Wade

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All very good. I find that Stilt not all that easy..

May be different with the 70-200 VR that wthe 80-400 VR.

Haven't tried though, yet.

8. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    LOL, Wade. :D

9. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, Gale. They are pretty hard when I first tried shooting them, but after a couple of sessions, it becomes more manageable.

Haven't tried shooting them with either of those, since I don't have enough moola for them. FWIW, the 300mm f/4 AFS is around the same weight and size as the 70-200mm VR (the 80-400 VR is lighter and shorter).