More butterflies (several images)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by daodang, Feb 22, 2005.

1. HI,

Here're some butterflies pictures taken a while ago. I'm sorry for the not very well done framing but the butterflies are interesting.

I'm not very sure about their identifications May be our expert Bob The Spiderman can correct me and enlight us with some detailed infos about these creatures. Thanks Bob in advancd.

I don't know the name of the first butterfly. Here in Quebec Canada, they call it the ┬źFantom butterfly┬╗. The only thing I know about this vutterfly is it feed on dead insects
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for viewing.
    BW

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shots Dao.... :!: :!:

I've just got to try some macro shots when the weather warms up enough for the bugs to come back out.

Thanks for the inspiration. :wink:

Regards,

Frank

3. Dao:

These are wonderful.

Gil

4. Very colorful and great series of shot Dao. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us.

5. These are good my friend.

Because of a time factor I will post more details later in the day but to answer your question about the first butterfly it is from the Ithomiidae Family. They are the most delicate of butterflies and come from South America. They are also known as CLEAR WINGS for the most obvious of reasons. In the forest clearings the clear part of the wing glints in the sunlight and they look fantastic. I am not sure if I read THE FIRST PART OF YOUR POST correctly but where did you get their food source from, as this is a bit of a surprise. I I know what you are referring to but it is not this species. Its the MORPHO that occasionally do this.
    ITHOMIDAE feed exclusively on pollen and nectar.

ID. OK here goes. ITHOMIDAE: Godysis avinoffi from Venezuela.

Sorry about the rush, but ebay have a cheap day tomorrow and I have about 50 books to load on for selling.

BW. Bob F.

6. Done it now!!

You owe me a Canadian Whiskey!!

The only book that is worthwhile is The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Butterfly World by Paul Smart. It is now out of print. BUT MY FRIEND go on to amazon.com and click on books. Type in this title and up come about 6 used copies for sale in the USA. from about $21.72.

The weather at the moment in Cornwall England is cold. ie just below freezing. This is very unusual for our county and the locals are in a sad state. One asked only yesterday if I had seen any polar bears, but I had to say 'Not as yet.'

BW. Bob F.

7. Re: Done it now!!

For the Canadian whiskey, anytime BOB and I really mean it. I can mail
    it to you. The only thing I fear is how much UK customs will charge you for the whiskey.

Thanks for the informations.

BW

8. If you don't mind, to Frank, Gordon and Gil, a thank for the kind words.

9. Todd_D1x

Todd_D1x

Feb 23, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Wow nice exposures there. Even the direct flash is very nice. Nice work and a good eye for the subject, thanks for sharing.

Todd

10. Sorry for delay.

Loading ebay with books for the Charity Oxfam and our own site has kept me occupied.

Firstly daodang can I ask you to amend the way you write the names of the butterflies. ONLY the species name starts with a CAPITAL LETTER, the subspecies always starts with a small letter. so Graphium Agamemnon is writen Graphium agamemnon. This will make the captions 100% accurate.
    1. G. agamemnon is actually a Papilion or Swallowtail despite the fact that it does not start with Papilio. They are known as Kite Swallowtails and look very similar to the kites of Asia. So they are the of the same Family as your P.rumanzovia and P.demodocus yet a very different shape. Swallowtails are without doubt one of the most extensive and beautiful butterflies in the world, and this brings me to your last picture. Frankly I am puzzled as this looks quite a large specimen, and although it is obviously a Papilionidae and could be P.polymnestor or P.xanthopleura I have a feeling that it could be one of th Orthioptera species.
    I hope you are making notes as there will be a 20 question quiz tomorrow.

BW. Bob F