More Conowingo Eagles

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jim Strathearn, Nov 26, 2005.

1. I had the pleasure of shooting with Mike Mac at Conowingo Dam this morning. Fortunately, it was a bit warmer today then yesterday! However, the morning light was terrible as it was dark and cloudy, although it eventually cleared up enough to get some flight shot attempts. I only ended up with a few flight keepers but I think Mike did a lot better. This is the best of what I got this morning:

D70, 500mm f/4 w/1.4 TC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch time...
    [​IMG]

46036528-L.

It was hard exposing these guys this morning w/o blowing out the sky, but I liked these two poses...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's Mike! (Yea, I kind of caught him off guard... :rolleyes: )
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Jim,

You got some primo shots there. I haven't seen anyone wearing that much clothing in a long time.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Excellent!!! I went to our dam yesterday after work to attempt to get some eagle shots. I was not successful. They were just too far away.

I love all of these. Especially the shot of it eating. I liked that one a lot.

Regards,

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good. Love the eagles. The one with the fish is nice.

Hell I would be happy with any of them :>)))

Hey Mike, ya sure look cold buddy :<(

5. Fantastic shots your exposures are dead on and your flight shots are top notch except for the last one of course, thanks so much for hanging out today I was thrilled I will be going back there many times in the next few weeks.

6. Beautiful shots of the eagles...... and the guy.

7. Fabulous Jim! I would love to hook up with you on one of these shoots!
    Dave

8. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Those are wonderful shots. Well, I'm not sure about the last one. But the others are great.

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Jim -

Really good images. You nailed the exposures under horrible conditions, and you caught the guys in the trees in interesting poses with minimal twig interference. Well done. I've got to get out to Conowingo - it can't be too long a drive from Blue Blue.

Gordon

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Jim -

Me again. I just found a Conowingo web site. It would be about a two hour drive from Blue Bell. Besides the Bald Eagles, what are some of the other prime photo opp birds there?

Gordon

11. Hah, those shots are brilliant!

So why were you asking ME for EXIF data, it should be the other way around ;)

Thanks for sharing Jim!!

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

More great Eagles shots
    Geeezzz talk about turning up the pain !!

:biggrin:

13. I don't know why, but I thought Mike would be about 10 feet tall... Great shots Jim.

14. Jim my hats off to you. I went out today to see the swans take off again. There were two adult bald eagles in a tree. I was hoping that they would fly toward me and maybe even get a fish out of the small lake. After two hours in the cold I gave up. They won this round. I did not get one in flight shot. So I come home and see these great shots. Talk about salt in the wound. Oh my. Again great job.

15. LOL! Thanks for looking Harry!

16. Thanks Patrick!

It was difficult getting the eating shot. That bird was so close I had to back off w/the 500! Plus, he decided to hang behind those pesky branches. But I'm glad we stuck with him and got some shots! Even my handheld 80-400 shots of him came out OK... Also, we're lucky that the generation side of the dam is the side where the visitor parking lot is. So, most of the "easy pickin'" fish are on our side of the river.

Thanks for looking!

17. Thanks Gale!

18. Thanks Mike! The exposures are a result of your EV suggestion, which was spot on! :biggrin: I'm glad that you weren't disappointed. Hope to see you down there in the upcoming weeks.

19. Thanks Phil!

20. Come on up Dave! My suggestion would be to pick a weekend where the skies were clear. One day's weather made the difference between these two shots below. Both were shot around the same time of day at the same general angle:

Clear skies:
    [​IMG]

Overcast skies:
    [​IMG]

Mike is coming back down so we can all coordinate a group shoot. This is a busy time of year so you may want to start checking your calendar. From what I understand, and I do not know this first hand, the migrating birds are here from now through the end of January. Then they go home... I'm not sure how large the local group is but I can try to find out. I've also been told that there are Osprey close to that area as well. I'll try to scout them out...