Critique More conversions of older files

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Fall came today with a heavy downpour for much of the afternoon, so I decided to convert some older files. Comments, positive and negative, are welcome.

1. Copper Fox Distillery, Sperryville VA
_WJW1250-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Under the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, Alexandria VA
_WJW0613-3.jpg

3. Construction of pricey new condominiums along the Alexandria waterfront.
WJW_2283-8.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
#2 - Under Woodrow Wilson Bridge is spectacular. The people, wide angle, and large bridge supports, convey well the sense of scale. I never even knew this existed.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Three very different scenes and all of them really great b&w's, Bill!
#2 - Under Woodrow Wilson Bridge is spectacular. The people, wide angle, and large bridge supports, convey well the sense of scale. I never even knew this existed.
Thank you for your comments, Bart and Walter.

The areas under and on either side of the bridge form Jones Point Park. There's a small historical lighthouse in the park, which has been restored, and piers for fishing in the Potomac, as well as basketball courts under the bridge. When the new bridge was under construction, the park was maintained by the city and had been allowed to become somewhat shabby, but a local group organized a campaign to save the park from obliteration by the bridge. As a result of their efforts, the National Park Service took over the park and created a really wonderful space where many people from all walks of life come to enjoy themselves. Due to the wind tunnel effect, the temperature under the bridge is about 10 degrees cooler than the ambient air outside, which is welcome in the heat of the summer, but less so in cold winter weather.

Jones Point Parki

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Such wonderful images! Really well done, Bill! I especially like the framing within the frame, the scale, and the unusual scene displayed in the second photo.
Mike, if you go to Dyke Marsh, you can stop at Jones Point Park on the way back if it's not too late and capture essentially the same photo. The basketball players will still be there -- they're a permanent fixture.You can actually see the lighthouse from the observation platform at the end of the Dyke Marsh trail.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Yes, that 2nd one is special. THe first one is all cluttered but that fits the scene.
Thank you, Allan. The first one perhaps works better in color, but I was intent on converting to B&W.
51596143369_d8a3201ea6_b.jpg

_WJW1250-6 Copper Fox Distillery, Sperryville VA by Bill Walderman, on Flickr

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom