More critters of all kinds with Tamron SP180... (image heavy!)

JPS

Hi... I hope I'm getting a bit more used to the Tammy 180 mm !?! Here's a few more "bugs" that I shot yesterday ! Most of them haven't been cropped at all... I'm so used to shoot tight !

All shots with Nikon D700, most on tripod ! All the PP was done on Capture NX2 (I only added the signatures in Photoshop !). The Exifs Datas are embedded in the images !

(All the images have been uploaded in 1200 pixels on their longer side ! To see the right size, click inside the image !)
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

The BODY of this spider was more than 1/2" (~1.5 cm.) long... ID ?
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

This one was around 2" (+5 cm.) wide... Any idea of the name ?
original.jpg

Another nice kind of camouflage, isn't it ?
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

.....and..... the sharpest of all !!
original.jpg

Comments, tips ?

Cheers,
J-P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice set.

You don't need any shooting tips.

Nikoncafe is not downsizing your vertical shots so I'm missing part of them. May I suggest 900px vertical as a maximum?

Cheers,

Larry

JPS

Nice set.

You don't need any shooting tips.
Thanks Larry !

Nikoncafe is not downsizing your vertical shots so I'm missing part of them. May I suggest 900px vertical as a maximum?
May I suggest that you simply scroll down your screen a bit ? I know that many people are still using smaller monitors, but since mine is 24", I use 1920x1200 pixels viewing ! When I look at an image smaller than 1000 pixels, it seems so ridiculously small...

:smile:
J-P.

JPS

Excellent set! I like my Tamron 90 but sometimes I need more reach, and was thinking of the Sigma 150 macro. Do you like the Tamron 180?

Very nice shots!
Hi Alex ! Thanks for looking and commenting !

I used the Tamron SP90 for 7 years, but allways thought that it was a bit short for some critters... I eventually bought the 180 as I read plenty good reports on it's sharpness and contrast... and also that it hasn't got any color cast !

...the only drawback is that now I have to use a tripod with it, as at my age -I'm 63 years old-, I'm no more as "stable" as I used to be :frown:...

...another thing is that it's AF is quite SLOW, but I read that all long macro-lens have the same "problem" ! ...never mind, I use manual focus most of the time for this kind of shooting !

:smile:
J-P.

Great series! And yes, it is a challenge to get the whole bug in focus. That is a very pretty spider, whatever it is, but I wouldn't want to get too close either!

J-P

Excellent work with that macro lens - beautiful shots all of them - and I would have to agree with some of the others - I'd want like a 900mm lens to shoot that spider so I didn't have to get near it! hahaha

Of course I can scroll down but I can't see the complete picture you took the time to carefully compose and process. I've read the statistics on monitor use by size. Most of the world uses smaller monitors (many people also only have a laptop). You can always look at a larger version on your computer but the rest of us with smaller monitors don't have a choice.:Sad:

Larry

JPS

Of course I can scroll down but I can't see the complete picture you took the time to carefully compose and process. I've read the statistics on monitor use by size. Most of the world uses smaller monitors (many people also only have a laptop). You can always look at a larger version on your computer but the rest of us with smaller monitors don't have a choice.:Sad:

Larry
....guess you're right.... I'll try to think of it...:wink:

J-P.

Great images...I especially like the bee photo! As far as the spider goes, I can not bring myself to photograph one (not right now)!

I have the same lens and used it yesterday to shoot butterflies. I have not loaded my pics yet - so I'm not sure what they are going to look like on the big screen.

Thanks for sharing your inspiring photos.

That's a great set of pics! The Wasp Spider (Argiope bruennichi) will only be around for a month or two and then will magically disappear again until this time next year. It's a female - the males are much smaller and quite drab in comparison.

I like the first shot of the Painted Lady the best.

(I think the brown butterfly is a Grayling of some kind - there are quite a few Graylings so I wouldn't like to say which one!)

(edit - or it could be a male Dryad (Minois dryas)??)

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent series J-P. The images are all very sharp with great color. I like the red dragon fly very much. You are doing very well with your new lens. I have a copy of the 180 and have been happy with it. Thanks for sharing them.

JPS

Great images...I especially like the bee photo! As far as the spider goes, I can not bring myself to photograph one (not right now)!

I have the same lens and used it yesterday to shoot butterflies. I have not loaded my pics yet - so I'm not sure what they are going to look like on the big screen.

Thanks for sharing your inspiring photos.
Thanks Angela !

The bee image is one of my favorite in this serie... it made me think of some fireworks, with the "explosion" of the petals under the bee and in the background... sometimes "luck happens" (too :Curved:) !

Cheers,
J-P.

JPS

That's a great set of pics! The Wasp Spider (Argiope bruennichi) will only be around for a month or two and then will magically disappear again until this time next year. It's a female - the males are much smaller and quite drab in comparison.

I like the first shot of the Painted Lady the best.

(I think the brown butterfly is a Grayling of some kind - there are quite a few Graylings so I wouldn't like to say which one!)

(edit - or it could be a male Dryad (Minois dryas)??)
Thanks a lot for the NAMES ! Ohhhhhhh how much would I know more about these critters, their habits and lives ?!?

:biggrin:
J-P.

Latest threads

Top Bottom