More D5600 testing

I've put a lot of shots on my new D5600 this weekend. So far, my reaction is all positive. I'm still so surprised at how well this relatively inexpensive camera can perform. It's nice for my hand size, which is very small. The weight is light which is good for me. I think the focusing is very quick. I love the way I can focus using the lcd by moving my thumb around while looking through the viewfinder. This is very helpful. I am not using back button focus since my thumb is moving the focus point.

So, for a second small body, it seems to be a perfect fit for me. I'm going to try to do some comparison shots between it and my m4/3 camera soon.

For some reason all my Zenfolio links seem a little soft to me. Not sure why. The photos are all pretty sharp. Of course the high ISO shots are not as clean as my FX camera and the dynamic range isn't as broad. But, it is very usable. I liked my old 70-200 VR version 1 on it tonight. I wouldn't hike with that lens, but around the house or straight out of the car it will work fine.

Cousins having fun.

p3048050345-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p3048056187-5.jpg

These little sweeties always make us smile!!
p3047997544-5.jpg

p3048016602-5.jpg

p3047149993-5.jpg

Very low light aquarium shooting.
p3046759363-5.jpg

Not nearly as cute as the grandkids....
p3046732897-5.jpg

A little landscape shooting at the gully next to my daughter's house.
p3046757431-5.jpg

p3047064906-5.jpg

Even a little makeshift soccer game in our backyard.

p3048091123-5.jpg

Real Name
Randy
your kid shots are wonderful. I love the eyes, so expressive and superbly captured.

Glad to see you're having fun again, Terri. You're certainly making that little camera sing! They're very capable if you know how to use them, and you obviously do.

I especially like the second one of this set.

Glad to see you're having fun again, Terri. You're certainly making that little camera sing! They're very capable if you know how to use them, and you obviously do.

I especially like the second one of this set.
It is good to have fun at photography again. New gear always adds a little excitement. I'm so pleasantly surprised at the capabilities.

The second photo is just too precious.

I'm not a gear head, so I didn't realize a touch screen allows you to move the focus point and see the changed location while looking through the view finder.

Still using my D7000, lovin' it, and fortunate that I don't need new gear to remain enthusiastic about photography. Indeed, it had been at least a week since I had made a photo in my makeshift studio and I was feeling in withdrawal. It's been another two days since I made that one and I'm beginning to sense those sensations of withdrawal again.

I'm not a gear head, so I didn't realize a touch screen allows you to move the focus point and see the changed location while looking through the view finder.

Still using my D7000, lovin' it, and fortunate that I don't need new gear to remain enthusiastic about photography. Indeed, it had been at least a week since I had made a photo in my makeshift studio and I was feeling in withdrawal. It's been another two days since I made that one and I'm beginning to sense those sensations of withdrawal again.
I don’t need new gear often either. I hadn’t bought a new camera body for years. But I had a physical need for lighter gear! I mostly just need the grandkids to keep motivated!

I had to look this one up as I was confused by the concept. You can set the screen to become what's essentially a touchpad like on a laptop computer and the cursor is the focus point - a neat idea! It doesn't seem to be available on the 8xx series.

Larry

I had to look this one up as I was confused by the concept. You can set the screen to become what's essentially a touchpad like on a laptop computer and the cursor is the focus point - a neat idea! It doesn't seem to be available on the 8xx series.

Larry
Yes, that is the concept. I'll test it out more and let you know what I think.

These are just wonderful, Terri! Your grandchildren are so photogenic and you have the knack for capturing the action perfectly -- seeing children enjoying themselves and having so much fun together is the best!! Preserving memories, while enjoying the moment......

That little camera and accompanying lenses are magical in your hands. You know what you're doing and that makes all the difference between a snapshot and a much better photograph. This was a good purchase!

As for touchscreen focusing, it's great, isn't it? I first was exposed to it when I got my Sony RX100 M6 early in July, and love it! The RX10 M4 which I got later that month does it as well, but that camera is a bit heavier to hold one-handed while I'm using a finger to move my focus point with the other, especially if I've got the lens extended to capture something at a distance. On mine, I can either use this technique while looking at the LCD and holding the camera out somewhat to frame the shot, or I can use the EVF and then the LCD/touchscreen is dark, but I am seeing what I'm doing in the EVF. That is my preferred method, as I always use a viewfinder on any camera and wouldn't buy one without it (exception being the older Sony P&S "waterproof" camera that I used for a shot submitted to the CS). Sony provides some settings so that one can use just half the touchscreen area, which then takes care of accidental "nose focusing". I imagine Nikon does as well.

Yes, for me photography should be all about fun, and not some onerous task, something which "has" to be done for one reason or another...... For a while I more-or-less put it on the back burner when it seemed as though it was not as much fun any more, but now this summer I've been getting more into it again and it feels good and it IS fun again.

Latest threads

Top Bottom