Critique More drop art photos (I couldn't think of a good title.)

I used several different drop art and post-processing techniques in my latest session, which produced some images that turned out well and others that were an ideal fit with the Delete button. All liquids are 1/2 cream and 1/2 water thickened with Xanthan gum. I was hoping that mixture would produce some translucent formations, but being relatively new at this I now realize that the translucent textures require using less cream and more of the water-based mixture.

The photos below are my favorites from the session. The background in the first photo includes a lighting effect from Boris FX Optics software.

All formations were produced by dispensing two drops from the same bottle except that the last photo was produced by dispensing one drop from each of two bottles.

Photo #1
Mike 2020-09-28--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2020-09-28--0030-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2020-09-28--0017-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2020-09-28--0043-S.jpg

Photo #5

This formation is called a "crown" or "coronet," which occurs nearly immediately after a drop impacts the surface of liquid. The other photos were captured relatively later after the first drop had bounced above the surface and collided with the second falling drop.
Mike 2020-09-28--0002-S.jpg

Photo #6
Mike 2020-09-28--0054-S.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Another amazine set of images, Mike! #1, 2 and 5 are my favs with #5 being my top pick! Would you mind posting #1 without the Boris effect?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to Gary, Al, Walter, Nick, Bill and Karen!

Would you mind posting #1 without the Boris effect?
Without the Boris FX effect

With the Boris FX effect

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thank you to Gary, Al, Walter, Nick, Bill and Karen!

Without the Boris FX effect
View attachment 1670982

With the Boris FX effect
View attachment 1670983
Thanks, Mike. This is a good example for me to learn about possibilities for the such filters. I found my eyes following the white in the background which led them up and away from the center of the image. However, having now seen the image without the Boris effect, I can see why you applied the effect. Perhaps reducing the opacity just a bit would lessen pull of the whites but still accentuate the image. Thanks again for letting me "go to school" on this technique! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I found my eyes following the white in the background which led them up and away from the center of the image...Perhaps reducing the opacity just a bit would lessen pull of the whites but still accentuate the image.
Another solution you might have preferred might have been to erase the white areas in the upper locations and at the left and right frames.

Wow. They just keep getting better, Mike. It would really be interesting to see these turned into sculptures by someone with the skills to do it. Obviously at many x life size :)

All great shots Mike. Without the Borris FX Effect shot is better in my opinion than the original, but it is personal preference. Anyway the subject is so good that it works both ways.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom