More eagle behavior

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Glacier, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I've only seen this behavior on two occasions but it was a sight to see. The last photo shows the pellet if you look closely. I knew owls did this but didn't know eagles did.

He did this several times but never saw a pellet on this day.

[​IMG]

Two days later he did it again. Notice his eye all bugged out.

[​IMG]

This time he got the pellet out!

[​IMG]

2. Great Series Andy

That is strange, I saw one do that today. Sort of Gag and shake her head but I didn't see anything come out either.

I checked and actually have similar photos.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    That's a new one for me Andy. Very cool series.

4. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Wow, nice captures! Yes I think they all do that. I've seen seagulls and kingfishers do that too, but never an eagle!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow great catch and great pics
    Hawks do this also

6. Andy I have seen a fish bone cause something like this but I am going to try and get an answer to what you photographed. I will get back to you if I can get an answer. I would like to know myself.
    Lou

7. Andy, OK I have a repl on what the eagle is you photographed from a friend who is a liecenced rehabber and eagle owner. Here is what he says and I hope this helps a lot of us in a bit of learning as I know I kind of though along these linse but was not sure, so,
    QUOTE,
    Hi Lou, Yep my old girl Dolly throws them whenever she eats anything furred such as rat, guinea pig, rabbit, deer meat ect. Its mostly the furred portion and some bone coming back up. I don't feed her any waterfowl but if they ate any type of duck there'd surely be one from that including feather and bone. Its just when they eat fish theres nothing really to cough back up.
    Bobby

8. OK Andy I am now 2 for 2 as I just heard from another rehab friend and she gave me the very same answer with a slight difference in Owls and eagles,

Quote,
    Lou, yes, all raptors do it. hawk pellets form in the crop (the undigestable food, ie bones, feather ,fur, etc.) owl pellets form in the stomach because they don't have a crop.

Very interisting as I did not realize the owl did not have a crop.
    Lou

9. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thank you for the information Lou!

10. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Super capture Andy and great information!! Next thing you know we will be going from the RR flip to the Andy hawk:wink: :biggrin:

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Lou,
    I thought thats what caused it. Like I said I saw a hawk do that.
    I don't know if I still have the pic.