More Eagle Pics

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jim Strathearn, Dec 3, 2005.

1. I had the pleasure of shooting with Mike Mac again as well as with Dave Watts (dmwphoto) today. (Nice ride Dave!!!) It was real slow and I had to leave early. As one would guess, the birds were beginning to come in as I was leaving... :rolleyes: I hope the guys were able to get some decent shots after I left. Dave had a long ride up so I hope it was worth it for him. I'll continue going back fairly regularly and hopefully will be able to get a keeper flight shot this year.

I was only able to get a few keepers today and these are heavily cropped. All taken w/the D70 and 500mm f/4 w/1.4 TC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great shooting, Jim. It's always disappointing to be somewhere that is improving but have to leave early...but better to have been there for a while than not at all. These images are very nice...and you will get that in-flight image real soon. I enjoy your images, keep them coming.

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I'd taked a short time anytime if I could get a few shots of an Eagle
    Glad you can Jim and enjoy viewing each and every one!

4. Love the last one, Jim! Are you like Gale and can talk to the birds and they listen? :wink:

5. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    For heavily cropped shots these are outstanding Jim. You did very well, eagles are really tough exposures.

6. Thanks Frank!

7. I almost take this shooting spot for granted and I have to remember that it's special...

Thanks for looking! (I'll have to work on some funny captions in the future... :rolleyes: )

8. LOL! There were about 6 or so photog's all huddled around shooting this bird. When I saw that he was looking at us I made a comment and all the shutters started going off at once!

Thanks for looking!

9. Thanks Harry. We kept dialing in negative EV until we got it... Here is one of the full frame shots to give you an idea of the cropping:

[​IMG]

Do you remember this stuff??? :eek:

[​IMG]

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The last one... Did ya have to give the poor thing a black eye :>))) lolol

Great day out for you guys. Good stuff. Beautiful majestic bird. Saw one a mile away and in thier nest a mile or so away. grrrrr.

Aaaaa That shiney stuff on the leaf.. Ohhh yeah you stir your iced tea with it right :>)))

11. Great Job Jim I had a blast I felt bad there wasn't more action for Dave. We stayed until 2:00 with very little action after you left.

12. These Eagle shots are great.. Really nice details in the dark feathers...

13. Jim,
    These are very good! I am not sure if I got anything real good or not, just loading the cards now. The thing I did get that was FANTASTIC was to meet and spend some time with you and Mike. Great guys you are! We will do something similar again I hope.
    Dave

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dave,
    I have met and shot with Mike he is just a super person :>)))

I am so glad you guys had the opportunity to get together and have a wonderful day :>))))

I am looking foward to seeing Mike again and meeting you as well. :>))
    cheers
    Happy Holidays

15. Love them Jim. Very nice job.

16. LOL! I wish I was close enough to give him that black eye...

17. Thanks Mike. I really enjoyed shooting with you and Dave. Next year we should start shooting these guys in November. Then, by the time the 18 degree weather rolls in we may already have our keepers! :rolleyes:

18. Thanks Eric. Mike is really good at calling out his camera settings during a session, which helps us all get to the correct EV ASAP.

19. Dave,

It was very nice meeting you yesterday. These birds are tough to shoot with their white heads and dark brown feathers. Then, mix in some variable light and you got a mess! Yesterday was my first outing where I didn't blow out all the head feathers; it takes some practice... (It also helps to be shooting with a group...) Next year I'll scout it out earlier and maybe se can get some better shooting conditions by watching the dam flow and weather well in advance.

Glad you mad it up and back OK.

20. Thanks Jim!