More Eagles from Lake Guntersville....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I went back over to the nesting area that Patrick and I have found out about last week, and stood and sat there for six hours with little more than glimpses of the objectives. Finally, about the time that dusk fell, they began to put on their daily show.

These were pretty much all taken at ISO 400 or 500, so there is more noise than I would have preferred, but you can't always make them fly when the light is perfect.... :?

I got a bunch of shots. These are my favorites from the bunch. Just wish the buggers had come out a half hour earlier.... 8)

The approach:
    [​IMG]

The flare:
    [​IMG]

Touchdown!!
    [​IMG]

The Glare:
    [​IMG]

Ruffled:
    [​IMG]

Regal:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by.

Frank

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey...good thing I like you, otherwise I'd not think highly of you as you captured these beautifully and I didn't!

By the way...I'm going to trade / sell the 200-400 AFS VR and get me a 500 AFS II f4. Just got to do it. I think I'm gonna match it up with a 300 f4 or eventually a 300 2.8.

I wish the new camera wasn't mere weeks away...I'd just go buy one so I could take it to Florida with me.

Jim

3. Hey Frank, nice captures for sure. They seem to like that good strong perch to sit on.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

There were several serious Nikon and Canon shooters at the Eagle site. One fellow was shooting a 600mm f4 and a 400mm f2.8, in most cases, with the TC-17EII. I didn't get to see his results, but it sure did get me to thinking about that 400mm 2.8 again.... :cry:

The 400 costs a little more than the 500, and weighs a little more, but it is almost 2 inches shorter. The real advantage of the 400 is that AF works fine with the 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 TC's (giving 400 f2.8 / 560 f4 / 680 f4.8 / 800 f5.6).

By comparison, the 500 f4 will not AF with the 2.0 TC, and thus gives 500 f4 / 700 f5.6 / 850 f6.7. The 400 looks awfully good to me. Wish I had a spare $6K or $7K laying around.... 8)

I do like your thought on the 300 f4. I'm seeing fantastic results from Harris and others with this lens.

BTW, are you using a Sidekick (or a full-sized Wimberley)?

Four more days.... :D :D

Frank

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon, it is totally amazing that they will come to this spot so consistently. Yesterday as darkness fell, this guy left, and the female landed there and posed for about 10 - 15 minutes before heading back to the nest.

What a dream come true for a dedicated birdie shooter.... :p :p

Wish that you could join us at Merritt next weekend. You sure would enjoy. :wink:

Regards,

Frank

6. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Wow! these are beautiful. Nice work Frank.

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank...

A Sidekick.

I spoke with Wimberly the other day and they're coming out with a new full gimbal in may which will be 30% lighter than the full wimberly is now...and cost about the same aount of money more as well most likely :)

JIm

8. Soem things we cant control

These are fantastic, did you run them through any type of NR I use NI plug-in and it works fantastic. Can you crate these guys up and bring them with you to Merritt?

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike, I didn't use any NR although I know I should have. I just had so many shots to look through, and I ended up processing quite a few. I use NN from time to time and it is pretty good, but it does take a couple of minutes. I also have trouble balancing between less noise and less sharpness.

I may give it a try on a couple of shots and see how it looks.

Thanks for your feedback.

Frank

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    One word..

SPECTACULAR!!!!!

I'm going to try to go back on Tuesday, work permitting.

Cheers,

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Frank,

They are something ain't they? I've been seeing one or the other of this pair of Eagles in the Wetlands just about daily and its always a thrill. Great captures bTW.

Harry

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harry, Yes they are magnificent animals. I may get one more chance to shoot them if I can get away with Patrick Tuesday.

Patrick, I'll see what I can do. :lol:

Frank

13. Hi Frank, fantastic sequence. with D2H?
    Congratulations for your tenacity.When one have passion, one can go a long way.

Cheers.

14. looks like a productive day, considering the long wait. Good job. Now you're ready for this weekend, eh?

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Harris. Like I said in my post, it's too bad that they didn't come out a little sooner, but sure was better than not coming out at all.... :wink:

As to this weekend, I'm ready right now.... :D :D

Frank