More eagles

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Well, Jim and Trish posted bald eagles, and we got a couple of hours of sunshine here, so out I went and actually had some luck. I cannot match Jim's fantastic light and exposures, but they are still not bad.

This was shot about 20 feet after he launched from his perch.

Another as I panned his flight

View attachment 22700

I did not realize he had a target in mind until the second eagle appeared in my finder. This one is full frame, cropped slightly on the sides.

View attachment 22702

And this shows both eagles together, although not a great shot. I was cropped so tight that I had to add canvas to the right and bottom on this one.

View attachment 22703

2. I like these Rory, especially #2. Very nice.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good shots and excellent examples of the kind of behavior that we are also seeing here in N AL. Seems that the juvi's want to go back to their nest, but the adults, sitting on new eggs, will have none of that. :rolleyes:

This also shows another interesting fact about Eagles. The juveniles are actually bigger than the adults. Once they lose their baby fat, and their muscles develop, they actually get smaller. :smile:

4. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great shots Rory...

5. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Rory,
    Nice job on these. 1st one is great, sharp face, scream, and detail in both the highlights and shadows..tough exposure with these guys with strong light.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Kinda like some models I've know :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

More make me sweat Eagle Shots :wink:

7. Rory, great job. It looks like you found some sun up there. It has been pretty dark and wet here. The sun did come out a little but I had to work. Look forward to seeing more.

8. Nice shots, Rory. Was the adult just chasing the juvenile away from his territory? Are they still going after spawning salmon in the rivers down there?

9. Very Nice, Do you get to see alot of Eagles there? I see a dozen or so here in a year if I'm lucky.(There is probably lots more, but so much bush where I live. Every year gets a bit better though.

10. Yes, I see hundreds each year. At this particular site there are at least 12.

11. I'm not sure about the spawning salmon - probably not in this case. The adult and the juvy were in the same tree for quite a while. I do not know what caused the interaction.

12. Me too!

13. No reason to be anything but proud of these shots! I love the shot of the juvenile in profile he seems frozen in time!

BTW I'm in California, coming home on the 2nd, have gotten lots of cool shots and some very puzzling bad ones.

14. Sorry to hear about California - I'm sure you miss the weather up here :wink:

I'm looking forward to seeing your shots. Have a Happy New Year Andreas.

15. Number 2 is beautiful Rory. All these great eagle in-flight shots are making me want to find an eagle site. Great stuff!

Tim

16. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Rory

Great shooting...and you got blue skies as well!

I've found that the multi colored juveniles are sometimes much harder to expose properly than the adults are. Maybe it's just me :)

17. Fantastic series and very interesting behavior. Love the colors of the juveniles when caught with their wings spread

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I also see juviniles and adults soaring together here.
    I think they continue to coach them..

Great shots.

Never tire of seeing the Majestic Bald Eagle.. wow

19. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Good capture, Rory. I like them all

20. I'd sure say "these aren't bad"! :smile: Pretty awesome!