More eagles

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chip, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Seems the eagles are out everywhere lately, enjoying the thermals and sitting on eggs still here in WA.

This one was just taking a couple laps around the pattern before she got back on her egg.
    original.

Just missed a couple of low dive bombs on this eagle by 2 others. He took off and landed again right in front of me.
    original.

He sat and let me gawk befor he took off.
    original.

And here is the take off series...shot off beanbag on car window.
    original.

clipped wing...oops
    original.

original.

buffer full last one:eek:
    original.

one from a few weeks ago:
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

killer shots

I'm so jealous :wink:

3. Very nice series of photos Chip and sure not hard to tell the female in that last one. Look at the beak and size of the one to the left. I would hope if they are nesting both are not off the egg/eggs as about 20 minuets is all it takes for them to go bad if the weather is cool.
    Lou

4. Terrific shots Chip. Sure is great to be able to find eagles and sun at the same time. Beautiful job with these.

Louie

5. Fantastic series, Chip. This must have been great fun.

6. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Thanks Ben. Lucky stop.
    Hi Lou,
    Thats kind of the same timeframe I have used if my presence causes a fly-off-20min. But, I sat a couple hunderd yards away from the nest with a biologist who was recording this nesting site for 15 minutes and the whole time the eagle was sitting on a branch about 30 feet away from the nest. He told me the eagle had been off-nest for an additional 10 minutes prior to me driving up, so we were a bit worried but I went back yesterday and she was back on again, so well hope for the best. Last years nesting was unsuccessful so fingers crossed.
    Thanks Louie. Eagles+sun=:biggrin:
    It was David, especially for a drive by.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    These are as good as it gets Chip. Considering your past posts though, I'm hardly surprised. :smile:

Extremely well done.

8. These are just stunning! love every one of them! Bring on more when you can!

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Chip superb work, several in that group are about as good as it gets! 1 and 5 come to mind,

Congrats on a great series

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  10. Outstanding, But the first one is better then that!!!

11. Totally top shelf series Chip! Where did you shoot these?

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Excellant photography Chip, I tip my hat to you for some awesome captures and for putting the birds welfare before your photography. Bravo Sir!

13. Quote Last years nesting was unsuccessful so fingers crossed.
    Chip do you think there is anyone else going to the nest and causeing a disturbance to the birds. You know it's really easy to drive them off egg/eggs rather than young. They look like a solid pair of birds but you never know. Has anyone ever made a climb to check the nest bowl for any eggs left in there? Was the weather cool this time they were off the eggs?
    Also Chip and maybe you are on board for all of this but I always like to remind people that a disturbance to and nesting raptor is against Federal law and with the eagle it is all the time. I just posted the latest law passed by the FF&WL and it was some good news for a change. I just hope people that like to take photos of the eagle will take the time to read it.
    Lou

14. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Well thanks Frank, I seem to remember a bunch you posted not too long ago that were inspiring.
    Will do Dianne. As soon as I can get out of work more often:wink:
    Thanks Wade, sometimes the stars line up and I get in the right place in the right time.
    Thanks Andreas, now that I look on my work monitor they look noisy to me now. Never was much for NR but they dont show in print.
    Peter, other than the first one, they were shot in Oak Harbor on the Military base on the seawall. There are a few nesting sites nearby and the eagles come to the water to hunt ducks/fish. Problem is sometimes lots of people like to launch their boats and walk the area but this day not anyone there...except me:smile:
    Thanks Frank. To be honest I am not always so habitat conscious but in this case with the nest so close to hatch, you gotta be.

15. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Hi Lou,
    I am sure there are other folks viewing that nest. It is at the end of a circle turn out. In fact there are 20 year old homes with people living in them 100 feet from that site. Last year there were kids from that neighborhood building a small fort at the base of that very tree! The eagles just sat there. They are very adapted to the area, not to say every eagle at every site is like this, but this one is.

There was some new construction going on near this nest last year which concerned me because the workers were getting sloppy with their work and leaving trucks too close to the site. I complained and was told the construction company hired a biologist to monitor this and a few other sites, but they were not abiding by all the regulations in the contract and got spanked.

This year they are much better and I havent seen or heard any construction within 300-400 yards of the nest. In fact the biologist I spoke of earlier was the one they hired for the job. I talked at length with him and he seemed to have the best interest of the eagles at heart not just some quack playing the part if you know what I mean. He seemed knowledgeable and professional and had a written log of behavior over the last few months of this particular site.

Believe it or not the Navy's environmental programs have come a long way in the preservation of habitat and animals. I Invite you and any others to check out "Currents" magazine online which is the Navy's enviro mag. I actually submitted a photo for the spring edition and got it published in the "My best shot" section. Here is the link https://www.denix.osd.mil/denix/Public/News/Navy/Currents/2007/spring.html
    scroll down under departments and click "best shots".

Thanks for the post Lou. Great info and a reminder to all of us.

16. Chip the web link you posted is blocked. At least to me it is. I'll try again later.
    Lou
    Lou

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I remember that shot Chip:>)))
    Congratulations
    I like your write up as well on the image

18. Quote, There was some new construction going on near this nest last year which concerned me because the workers were getting sloppy with their work and leaving trucks too close to the site. I complained and was told the construction company hired a biologist to monitor this and a few other sites, but they were not abiding by all the regulations in the contract and got spanked.

Good for you Chip and That construction Co. should have got more than spanked they should have got about a 10 grand fine and the guy they hired sent to jail for about 3 years. Believe it or not the way I read this new discription from the Federal Fish & Wildlife of the word DISTURBANCE to the eagle (both bald and golden) would have those kids breaking the law. With the eagle it's not like the case of who was there first the railroad or the house.
    Lou

19. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    chip these are all top notch! I like them all and especially the last one

20. Hey Chip I got through on that link OK and saw the photo but I also saw what I think is the Bllue Angels. Now did you know I live in a small town called Willow here in the Catskill mountains of N.Y. and from this small town came one of the Navys Blue Angel Photographers. He went to school with one of my kids. I saw him about 2 years ago (retired) and was moving to Cooperstown N.Y. Do you know I can't remember his name for the life of me but it will come later I am sure. I do believe his last name was Sass
    Lou