More fall out from Ray's Tutorial ...

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Conrad Monroe, Jul 9, 2007.

1. A friend of mine, who owns a transmission shop in Phoenix asked me to photograph his car, a black on black 1939 Chevrolet Master Deluxe coupe so that he could use the image on his business card. Well, as luck would have it some bozo spectator at the car show that we were attending was bent over looking under the car - on the side away from me - and just as I released the shutter he stood up with his head squarely framed in the passenger side window. Of course of the 6 images that I took of the car, this was the one that my friend liked the best - sans head...

I had planned on dropping the background in PS anyway and since I had just finished Ray's Tutorial I decided to see what I could do to punch up a rather dull subject.

The gas station is in Clarkdale AZ - it was built in the 40's and is still in operation today - I took the photo last fall when we passed through Clarkdale on a Jeep trip. The backgound sky and rocks were taken in Moab UT, on another Jeep trip. And the car was photographed in Yuma Az.

I am not totally happy with it yet, but it's a start. Lot of work for a business card -:biggrin:

[​IMG]

2. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Conrad

Nice one.......I like this very much....you have maintained or created an art deco feel imo. It just sits so well for me.

I think it is excellent...

Looks really well.

Best wishes

Ray

ps Conrad....you know, these are such good images, if you wanted, they may be a great opportunity for those interested to work on them and see what they come up with as a fun run!!!

Of course, I appreciate that may not be possible but if the images were available, I can see people having a lot of fun as they are both great.

3. Sounds like fun...
    You can grab the 1939 Chevy - Here!
    and the Gas Station - Here!

It will be interesting to see what y'all come up with!

Let me know if you have problems with the ftp.

Oh and since you are way better known on the forum, why dont you post a message announcing the 'Fun Run' eh?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Conrad,
    I must echo Rays comment.

Great work.
    Super background and wonderful sky

Ya did good:>))))

5. I had this exact thought before I even finished reading the original post. I really like it.

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Conrad

Came back for seconds.the more I look....the more I like!!!!!!

It is a great image.....

Saw your links and may see if we can get some attention to it....

Off to work now...(as always) but will try to get it up and running later

Best wishes

Ray

7. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Gave it a go

and hope some more people have fun with your great images Conrad....

Let's see what we can all do and have some fun!!!

best wishes

Ray

[​IMG]

8. I Hate Posting After Ray

Ray ............ man I hate to post an image after you!! :Alien: Well, here's my effort. Conrad, this really is a great shot and effort on your part. Ray, excellent as always ........:smile:

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Bob

That is great....really dynamic and eyecatching.......

Great work

Best wishes

Ray

10. The talent on this forum is amazing, This is just "SUPER STUFF"

11. Thank you all for your kind words and feedback, it is greatly appreciated!
    Ray - another great interpetation! You sent me back to the drawing board with that one... I really like your rendition of the gas station! So much so that it forced me to really research Chip Springer's PWL and illustrated look work today... of course since I was doing that I didnt get any of my DAM cataloging work done that I had planned on doing today... oh well always tomorrow!
    Bob, you really did a number on that one! Melded the art deco movement of the 20's with the 60's! Which got me to thinking about Peter Max! Here is a challenge for you... can you simplify what you have a bit more and turn it into a Peter Max/ Stanley Mouse/ Rick Griffin style poster? - without going to Illustrator -
    Hope some more folks give it a whirl! It really helps seeing how different folks approach the same task!
    Thanks again!

12. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Alternatively????

Ray

[​IMG]

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ou guys are to good and having way to much fun:>))))))

Really great images all of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I had some time to do some of this. I am so busy right now, I think i have forgotten how to use my camera, and to boot some clown thinks I can shoot property and model apts for them.
    I said I would give it a try, however I do not have ANY experience nor the proper equip.
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Where is Sandi when I need her:>))))lol

14. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Quick adjustment

Ray

[​IMG]

15. Conrad,

Here is a quick re-do with a Stanley Mouse painting added .....

[​IMG][/IMG]

16. Jeeze, you guys are GREAT!

Ray, great idea with posing a stock coupe with the street rod - a real before and after view. - Still trying to get my version to the same Illustration Look that you achieved on the building, not there yet! I think I need to use more shadow application to get the effect that I am looking for - See below

Bob, although I really like the physcodellic sky, this one works really well with the color and tone of the building - and the SM image is GREAT!

Okay --- Here is my latest version -

[​IMG]