More family photos for critique

Hi Greg and Ray

I have been wondering about the same color problems. Why does it look good in Photoshop and different outside of it. I was frustrated, so I called Eye One technical support. The fellow there explained to me that Photoshop can use all the information that the calibration profile offers. The Microsoft applications (windows and Internet Explorer) are not color managed like photoshop and only use a few of the settings that the color profile device and software set up. Won't it be nice when Microsoft makes a version of windows that can use a color profile. I hear rumors that the next version of Windows will have this capability, but believe me, I am far from being very knowledgeable about it. Surely someone here can clarify if I am giving out wrong information.

Terri French said:
Thanks for your help, Steve. I have a couple of questions for you. How do I brighten only the midtones? I haven't done that before. Also, why do you think the pic is in aRGB? It is in sRGB. I thought I had linked to the original version in pbase which should have the profile attached.

You have been most helpful to me, and I appreciate it very much.
The reason I asked about the colorspace, is that in PS, MY working space is aRGB. Pbase doesn't have that info. The midtones slider is the "middle" one in Levels, funny enough. Try the Quick Mask of the her hand(s) and set it to "Midtones" @10% using the Burn tool. you know how to do that?
Here's the pic for comparison. In Levels, the Midtones slider moved to the left about 10% I think. I'll get it off my pbase when you've had time to see it.
Your original:
53111153.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With my tweaks:
View attachment 20238

Steve S said:
The reason I asked about the colorspace, is that in PS, MY working space is aRGB. Pbase doesn't have that info. The midtones slider is the "middle" one in Levels, funny enough. Try the Quick Mask of the her hand(s) and set it to "Midtones" @10% using the Burn tool. you know how to do that?
Here's the pic for comparison. In Levels, the Midtones slider moved to the left about 10% I think. I'll get it off my pbase when you've had time to see it.
Your original:
53111153.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With my tweaks:
View attachment 20240

Steve,
We must have a discrepancy here between the way that our computers are set up. The one that you just posted looks quite red on my computer. I saved it and opened it up in CS2 and it still looks red. I checked it out on my other computer and it is definitely more red than my original. It must be that since my color profile was not available to you in photoshop it changed the colors when you opened it there in your aRGB colorspace.

Anyway, I can see the improvement to the hand in burning it. Also, the midtone slider is so simple, why didn't I think of that.:biggrin:

Boy am I learning a lot from everyone here. I think that landscapes are much easier to edit.:biggrin:

Terry, I did convert it to sRBG in PS, so that's probably where the extra reds came in. Sorry bout that, your version is more accurate.

Latest threads

Top Bottom