More Female Candid Shots From Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK have to say that looked at the shots and have to ask what's the point?

When you look at classic street photography and what you see is a story in some form. I look at these and think so what. They are something that most people who live in a city could see on a sunny day. The four together don't seem to show a trend and so why group them?

I look at others sets and I either see a narrative or the unusual. For me with these it is neither.

Hope that you find the above comments helpful, as we don't know each other they are not a personal criticism.

Ian

You seem to want to engage in a serious conversation about your work. I read NG and I read the posts here. I formed my opinions of the pictures on looking at them, and before reading any comments.

I think the basic problem I have with your pictures is that they are ordinary and mundane. The subjects look common, the background looks common, the photo technique looks like a cell phone camera.

Like lots of ** art, the first person to do it gets credit, and so, what's his name, the fellow you mention whose books now sell for lots of money, does mundane work, too. But, being one of the first to publish it, and by putting it in a book and making it "serious", it becomes elevated. I just visited MOMA for the first time, and it celebrates "originality" over any concept of quality. And, one need only be "original" at one point to validate whatever **** follows afterward. You cannot even claim to being early, let alone first. Your work holds no novelty. No novelty, no technique, and commonplace subject matter makes for uninteresting pictures. Merely imitating someone else, especially one whose only claim to fame is being "different" (ala Warhol - yeah, I can sell a lot of posters of Healthy Choice soup can labels), in no way validates your, diminutive, derivative, work. Your pictures certainly do not merit the mileage they're getting you in terms of two major photo groups' time, attention, and comments, except for your attempting to exalt your snapshots by cloaking them in some kind of artistic mantle.

The real question, for me, is whether an image makes we want to look deeper into it. Does the art of the photograph work with the subject to raise the total package beyond the everyday. Your work does not, not for me, anyway. I feel as if I see it all in a glance, and on second look, this perception is confirmed. That some, or even many, may enjoy the voyeuristic experience of seeing pretty girls being captured unawares (and vast amounts of Internet content are devoted to this fetish, and do it much better, if that's the word for being more purile, than you do) does not validate it as artistic, but merely establishes it as titilating. If you want to "improve", you can get more titilating candid shots on the beaches of Jamaica, for example.

BTW, I do think such shots can be very good; that street candids of beautiful women can be quite exceptional - even among the ranks of the best of all kinds of portraiture; my point is only that you are not doing it. Perhaps by getting more interesting lighting, more interesting angles, much more interesting expressions and settings, and, especially, by using a fast defocused lens, such as a 105 or 135 DC, or an 85 1.4, etc., your work might merit a second, or even a third look.

Dave Harris

OK have to say that looked at the shots and have to ask what's the point?

When you look at classic street photography and what you see is a story in some form. I look at these and think so what. They are something that most people who live in a city could see on a sunny day. The four together don't seem to show a trend and so why group them?

I look at others sets and I either see a narrative or the unusual. For me with these it is neither.

Hope that you find the above comments helpful, as we don't know each other they are not a personal criticism.

Ian
What is wrong with posting pretty girls?

no critique allowed Ron, right?

Daves comments where harsh, but he got valid points.

There is no problem with showing photographs of beautiful girls, of course.
But, and at least that is my impression, if you post on a photographic board, I judge the photoraphs in terms of technical qualities, or in regards to the quality of a specific lens/body, etc. I don't come here for photographs of random girls. There are sites that offer a lot of that content. If you post here you either want to show the quality of your work or have a technical discussion.

Bernhard,

What's the point of that. Dave's comments are unjustifiable as C&C. Its no more than a hatchet job loaded with circular reasoning. Well, these are shots of random girls. What would you like, professional models? I don't have any, and besides I am to old to have a GF that looks like any of them. I think a lot of my critics are confused. Either they expect my work to look exactly like typical wide angle street photography, or it should look like a posed portrait shot. That is not going to happen.

I don't know what to tell you other than you took your best shot at me and missed.

-Ron

It seems most comments made by posters that are critical of your work are unjustifiable in your opinion, that when two people make the same critical comments of your photographs they are just rehashing the same-old argument.

Everyone has there own opinions of what constitutes street photography, candids and the like. Me, I like to take photographs of random things on the streets, cracks on the road, stuff sticking out of the walls, the occassional "classic" wide-angle street shot and tonnes (though none posted) of women who take my breath away.

You seem to be playing this like anyone who criticises your work is out to get you, when they are merely providing there opinions on your photos.

and now i am beginning to ramble...

Ron this is getting absurd. Stop feeling offended when people talk about your photos and how you present them. That doesn't make sense. Accept feedback for what it is. I don't care the slightest for who you are, etc. when looking at your photos. I know you show a lot of good work in other threads. That makes it even harder to understand why you are defending them so much.

discussing photographs should be all about accepting feedback. It is the way you are identifiying yourself with them that makes you feel offended, and this in turn causes the harsh reactions.

I never intended to hit you with any of my comments as you seem to presume. I just don't get it how you can be so stubborn about not accepting negative comments. Thats the main reason for the tone this discussion got. The pictures alone wouldn't be causing this.

Bernhard,

Both you and Shing are implying that C&C is a free throw at the OP who is not allowed to defend his work, no matter how outlandish the comments are. You are both criticizing my conduct and personality which has nothing to do with the photography, and really has no place around here. People do make negative comments; I don't have to agree with them.

-Ron

C&C is never intended to be a personal attack on the photographer, and at no point do I think I made comments about you the photographer, but rather about the photographs. You however, not only defend you work, which you are entitled to, but go out of your way to point out how our criticism are invalid since they do not conform to your opinions of your photographs.
It seems as if if people like your photographs, they get a thank you, any criticisms and we are treated with a "you are wrong" retort from you, then from that it all just becomes a freeforall... it's puzzling this kind of attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom