More Flowers from the Southwest

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Terri French, May 27, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I have some more flowers that I would love to get identified. Pa helped me out with the last batch. Here are some more.

The first is a flowering bush. The bees just loved it.

I think the one below is a Prickly Pear

The picture below was to show plants growing in the Kryptobiotic soil

The next one is not the best exposure. Sorry I didn't nail it as this clump of flowers was magnificent. Also wondering about the yellow flowers in the background.

As always constructive criticism welcome. I realize that some of these pictures aren't as good as my last post. I still want to put them in my Moab gallery. Maybe on a return visit, I'll get better examples of these varieties.

2. My wife is out for the morning. I'm sure you'll get some names when she returns as several of these look quite familiar from our days in the SW.

3. Hi Terri,

Great series of desert flowers! I really like the saturation of the colours, did you do any post processing with these or are they off the camera saturation settings?

Surprising how much bright colours you get in a dry desert condition. I can sense the heat too, or is it dry and cool at this time of the year? I have no ideas, never been to a desert area before.

Regards,
    Jonathan

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Jonathan,
    I took them all in Raw and converted them in Adobe Photoshop CS2. The bright colors are amazing. It was very hot when we were there last weekend, but it cools down at night in that area. It is a higher elevation there.

The desert is interesting. I live in a high mountain desert in southern Idaho. Our conditions are much different from those in southern Utah.

5. Micah

Micah

May 8, 2005
    Hi Terri,

Photos 4 and 8 are Prickly Pear. Number 6, I believe is a Yucca plant and number 9 is Lupine. Number 7 is what I call an Indian Paintbrush. And I think number 5 might be a pincushion barrel cactus. Hope this helps.

BTW nice photos

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you so much for the ID Micah. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

7. Terri, I really like your second photo and the cactus flowers shots.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. Terri, I love the second shot. Beauty in a harsh environment!! WOW!! :D :D :D