More fun with Sigma 50-500 OS

Got a chance to get out between storm fronts the last few days so I could work a bit more with the new Sigma zoom.

These are all at 500mm and f/9 using a D7K:

p760066440.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p552172992.jpg

p974955653.jpg

p815953274.jpg

p969938559.jpg

I've decided to go ahead and sell the lens to a friend who's coming up for a Yellowstone trip and I'll continue on with the AF-S 300 f4/TC-14 combo. But this Sigma is a pretty good lens for being a super tele-zoom.

I have this lens and can confirm it's fantastic quality. Have no idea why folks are considering the 28-300 Nikkor when this is out there.

Thanks for showing these, good job...!
Clapping.gif

I too am considering this lens in the future, this helps a lot...! :cool:

these are awesome and easily the best i have ever seen from this lens

Thank you, Randy. I have to admit the lens has surprised me.

Nice shots. Now you have me thinking of getting this lens.

Thank you, Jon.

These are nice. Your spring seems extraordinarily late, if you took these in the last few days.

Thank you, Tom.

Yes, our spring has been very cold, wet and windy this year. Many dead tomato gardens around town :) Forecast says we have a nice change in the immediate future and I'm looking forward to it.

I have this lens and can confirm it's fantastic quality. Have no idea why folks are considering the 28-300 Nikkor when this is out there.

I guess that's what surprises me so much with this Sigma - that incredible focal length range.

Thanks for showing these, good job...! http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x234/wizzard0003/Clapping.gif

I too am considering this lens in the future, this helps a lot...! :cool:

Most welcome and thank you. Glad to have contributed to your lens lust :)

Very nice, Holmes! I have this lens as well and, for what it is, it is very sharp, well, very sharp to almost 500mm. At 500mm, it softens just a little bit, but still pretty good. I guess we both got lucky and got good copies. Highly recommended to those considering it.

interesting one here...

I may look into this one for airplane show I go to. Conditions are always great for shooting at high F/stop so I will give it a shoot. How is AF on this thing ??

My choice still 300/4 + 14E or 17E.

Holmes, those are really nice shots. I echo Randy's comments, those are really sing.

Thank you very much.

Very nice, Holmes! I have this lens as well and, for what it is, it is very sharp, well, very sharp to almost 500mm. At 500mm, it softens just a little bit, but still pretty good. I guess we both got lucky and got good copies. Highly recommended to those considering it.

Thank you. Nice to hear from another satisfied user.

Looks pretty good! My copy of this lens as very soft and I returned it.

Thank you. I do feel rather lucky with this lens considering others' experience. These Sigma super zooms have a reputation for hit 'n miss in terms of sample quality. Too bad really.

I am going to sell my 50-500 non os and buy this one!!!! Nice shots!!!!

Thank you. The original version was so popular and this new lens just adds to the versatility.

Good luck to you.

interesting one here...

I may look into this one for airplane show I go to. Conditions are always great for shooting at high F/stop so I will give it a shoot. How is AF on this thing ??

My choice still 300/4 + 14E or 17E.

The AF is quite good - better than I expected. Its more sure footed on the D300 than the D7K but I don't feel hampered with either body. To be fair though, I've not used it in challenging light. I believe this lens really should be considered a good light optic. I'd wager the Sigma would make an excellent airshow lens.

The AF-S 300 f4 Nikkor sets the bar in portable telephoto lenses as far as I'm concerned. If it had VR with a reasonable price tag I'd never leave home without it :) I use the Nikkor with a TC-14 but need a monopod to shoot static subjects with it if my shutter speeds drop below 1/800s.

very sharp! Gives me hope the new 80-400 might be worth buying. :)

Boy howdy - I'm with ya there :)

I owned the previous non OS version for ~24 hours and returned it. IQ was horrible, especially at the short end. OP, the shots you've posted clearly are a quantum leap better than the old copy I tried. Look forward to seeing more.
Maybe some BIF's???

I especially like the first squirrel. How far out were you zooming? Did you go all the way to 500mm?

I owned the previous non OS version for ~24 hours and returned it. IQ was horrible, especially at the short end. OP, the shots you've posted clearly are a quantum leap better than the old copy I tried. Look forward to seeing more.
Maybe some BIF's???

I haven't tried any BIF work with the lens yet. I'm not a skilled BIF guy but I'll be trying my hand this weekend at seagulls and pelicans. I'll post my results the first of the week.

I'm currently crawling about on my hands and knees photographing prairie dogs. Skittish little beasts that are hard to get near. I'll be posting the images Thursday evening.

nice pics holmes, you and this lens are getting along just fine

Thank you. We're havin' fun together, this Sigma and I :smile:

I especially like the first squirrel. How far out were you zooming? Did you go all the way to 500mm?

Howdy Tom,

That image was indeed at 500mm. Aperture was f/9, shutter speed 1/250s. I was able to get rather close to him, about 20-25 feet, thus the image is a moderate crop.

I'm currently crawling about on my hands and knees photographing prairie dogs. Skittish little beasts that are hard to get near.

Maybe it's your hat?

elope_big-bad-wolf_lrg.jpg

Can't wait for the images!

Latest threads

Top Bottom