More GBHs

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Aug 11, 2005.

1. As I watched, I don't think the GBH was to happy with sharing the spot with another, so he quickly claimed the spot for himself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good behavior catches Louis. Where did you find these guys?

3. Juanita Beach in Kirkland, Washington. It's an interesting place, actually Bill Dewey got me on to it. You really never know what situation you may run into when going there.

I had a number of other shots, but I'm having difficulties getting the sharpness I'd like to see. I took these with my 80-400mm VR.

Thanks for your comments.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Louis,

I know that the 80-400 is capable of sharp shots. Can you post some shot data on these (shutter speed / aperture / ISO setting / etc.)? Are you hand holding or using a tripod or monopod?

5. Frank, I shot at 1/640, F6.3, 400mm, ISO=320 and I was using a tripod. I did have my AF set at AF-C, for some reason.

6. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Louis:

Those are some magnificent birds. Very nice images, particularly the second one. I saw my very first GBH this past week and cannot believe how large they are.

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Cool shots, Louis! A GBH and a Green Heron jockeying for territory is an interesting activity to watch.

8. Louis, I know that spot :wink:

That is pretty cool, the first time I have seen the Little Green Heron along with the GBH.

I always shoot everything in AF-C. One thing that I find that helps is to not have focus occur with a half-press of the shutter button, but only via the button on the back of the camera. This was a recommendation from Ron Reznick in a class a long time ago, and it serves me well. The other nice thing about this is that you don't accidentaly have issues with the AF trying to "take over" if you have manually focused on something. This may help, I can show you this next time we meet. Also, could you be having issues with VR on the tripod? I am not particularly VR savvy yet, but isn't the 80-400 one of the lense you have to turn VR off when using a tripod?

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Louis,

Sounds like you did everything right. I agree with Bill on the AF-C. I have mine set up the same way. He also might be onto something with the VR and tripod. Was it on or off?

10. Thanks for input Bill. I'll try configuring the AF on the AE/AF button. Actually, I did have the VR turned off while mounted on the tripod. Well, when I catch up with you maybe we can exchange some thoughts on inproving my technics.

I was just thrilled to watch the continued interaction between the GBH and the GH. The GBH puffed his feathers up like a turkey and went after the GH.

11. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Louis,

First - Great pictures. I believe this is the first time I have seen a GBH & a GH together.

Are these full frame or crops? D70? I have taken some photographs in Juanita Park and I too have trouble sometimes with AF.

I think there is just too much green foliage in the park around the birds for the AF to function properly. It probably does not have enough contrast to focus properly.

I realized this when I shot with Bill's 500mm. When the bird actually filled up most of the frame, I found that AF was much more consistant. On the same day, I shot the same bird with the 70-200VR but did not have any success.

This is just my opinion.