More girls basketball

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mike mac, Dec 20, 2005.

1. This was from Kerris game last night, I finally got a decent shot of her drving the lane, amazing how much she has progressed in the last three years
    Taken with the D2X set to manual ISO 800 with the SB800 and 28-70
    Kerri driving the lane
    [​IMG]
    No where to go
    [​IMG]
    Surrounded
    [​IMG]

2. Mike, great captures. Keep up the good work.

God Bless,
    David

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I really like the results that you are getting with that combination. I have been shooting basketball with the 70-200mm and I think that I will switch to the 28-70mm for a while and just move closer...your results are really good, as good as many of the pros who post on sportsshooter.com! Great shooting, Mike!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Mike, what was your setting for WB? Set for flash or did you use a grey card or Expodisk? You really have me interested in shooting with the "beast" instead of the 70-200mm.

5. Frank
    Thanks I owe this to Twig he gave me the suggestion of shooting in manual mode with the shutter set to 1/250s and the fstop somewhere around f5. I then just dial in + or - EV depending on what part of the half court the action is in. With he 28070 you are limited to the basket closet to you try sitting on the baseline if possible or in the corner to get some good angles the 28-70 is a fast focusing lens and performs real well. I use the flash WB setting

6. Hi Mike, it funny you should talk about the manual setting since I just tumbled to that myself yesterday. I set my aperature for what I want and then just dial in the shutter speed I think I use with the lens I have on. The flash measures the exposure based on the reflection from the subject. Works great. When trying to shoot in P mode I was always getting a bunch of blurred images.

Nice images by the way.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting information, Mike. I usually shoot at f/2.8 but I will set it around f/5 and give it a go. I have been using the H in manual mode with the SB800 in manual dialed down in power to around 1/4. WB has been set to flash...but I like your results better than mine. So, it's back to the draiwing board to see how the images turn out using the beast. I'll post some after I shoot next week.

8. Fantastic work as usual Mike.

9. Frank
    I used the flash WB setting and have fell in love with this setting since the upgrade when using the SB800 even in mixed lighting. and by using the manual exposure you assure that a good portion of the light on the subject is from the flash.

10. It is a very nice way of contolling the exposre on your main subject and either lettign the background go dark or bright

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2005
  11. Hi Mike,

I really like #1. The body lean of the dribbler makes the shot more dynamic, and I love her determined expression. The forearm out to ward off the defender makes her look pretty fearsome, too.