More Great Egrets - going after fish and wading

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Pretty harsh light you had on that white

Nice poses

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gale -

You speak truth. And I stopped down these guys about 2 stops, but obviously not enough in mid-day light. I'm always glad that you are around and call'em like you see'em. Keeps me honest. LOL. IMO the only two images I should have kept and shown are the ones of the guy trying to catch lunch. The exposure is a little better and I like the action.

Gordon

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

I'll pass along a tip that Mural gave me on shooting white birds. He recommends spot metering with an EV comp setting of +1.3. I've tried it and it works.

Nice shots other than the hot whites BTW. :smile:

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks for the tip, Frank. It's kind of funny, but after reading Gale's critique I thought to myself "hey, I ought to spot meter these guys". I'm surprised that +1.3 is enough, but I'll do a little experimenting and undoubtedly confirm that you are right!

Gordon

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Or you can also use the sunny 22 rule for white birds. Very effective in the right conditions. Love the first two!

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Andy -

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm going to have to research exactly what the sunny 22 rule means. (I know the concept, but I haven't used these kinds of rules since SLRs with TTL metering came out.) The first two are my favorites too.

Gordon

8. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    It's the old sunny 16 rule adjusted for a white subject.

Shutter speed equals ISO @ f/16. In the case of a white subject it's f/22.

ISO = 200
    Shutter = 200
    f/stop = 22

Any equivalent EV combination works from that starting point. In this case maybe 1600 @ f/8 would be the sweet spot. This rule assumes bright midday conditions so adjust accordingly for the conditions.

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Aha! Now I remember. Thanks Andy. I'm surprised that one stop will be enough, though. I would have guessed 1.3 or 1.7.

Gordon

Gordon