More Green Heron Fun

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I decided to use the 70-300 VR today for a little more reach...but I suffered with the quality I feel over the 80-200 f/2.8 as my shutter speeds were a bit slower and the quality of the glass is just not the same. The first two were from the 80-200 the day before, then the last two were from the 70-300 VR. Granted I wasn't as close with the 70-300 VR shots...but the quality between the 2 lenses is easily seen by me.

GH on a stick (80-200 f/2.8)
    [​IMG]

GH creepin' on the come up (or on dinner for that matter) (80-200 f/2.8)
    [​IMG]

2 GH's have a stare down to see who gets the stick over the water (70-300 VR)
    [​IMG]

Tired GH with a big yawn (70-300 VR)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking, and C&C appreciated.

2. Nice Dave

I'm amazed how close you can get.

3. I think it would be difficult to make a comparison with those pics, IMHO. A true comparison would come taking the same pics as the first two with the 70-300VR. Sorry just my thoughts. And in the end same being same I think it would be VERY difficult to tell the difference.

Cheers
    Nancy

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

I agree that the 80-200 is a better lens than the 70-300VR from and IQ standpoint, but as you said, you were much further away on the last two. All look pretty good to me.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They look fine. You were really far away for a good test:>))))

6. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Nice shots! I never noticed they have that little tuft of feathers on top of their heads.

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I think these are immature green herons, and thus that is why they have the tuft of feathers on the top of their heads and their legs are more whitish than orange.

As for the comparison, yes I should use both side by side for the same shots. Actually, I might try to do that this afternoon if they are out in their usual spot. Unfortunately they like that long stick where the one has it's beak open, and there just isn't a good spot to shoot them from at this location without the sun being in my face.

I'll try to post some more comparison shots of the two lenses (and the 180 f/2.8 if I can carry them all) later.

Thanks all for looking. These guys are fun to watch and shoot!