More herons

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Ibn, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thought I had posted these earlier. Taken about a week ago.

DSC_4005.

Almost caught the fish in focus as well on this one, but missed it...so much for the RR flip.
    DSC_4004.

DSC_4071.

DSC_4092.

Usually run into something new to shoot when I take off. On the way to the car, ran into some BCNH and had to run back to the car to grab the tripod. The light was slowly disappearing and it was impossible to handhold the lens.

DSC_4149.

DSC_4155.

Finally packed up and started driving off. Noticed a couple stopping and observing something in the distance. Made a U-turn and headed back to them and found this gal with a whole mess of piglets.

DSC_4190.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Hi, Eric! Nice composition on these photos! I agree with Paul that the first 4 are a little soft, but think it's more that they're a little dark. Capturing a white bird against such a dark background without blowing highlights is an achievement! You might want to try spot metering in those circumstances so you don't have to turn the eV down so low, or make some more eV adjustment in your post processing. Anyway, as Paul says - "mighty fine photos"!

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

NH on tripod is a fine shot.
    I try (not always successful) to shoot with support no matter the light :)

5. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, Don. I think I actually used CWA on these rather than matrix and then processed them for EV afterwards also. My script doesn't correct for the changes that were made but rather just displays them as they're coming off the camera. I'll have to omit them next time or revise the script. :)

6. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, Ben. I use the tripod as often as I can myself. The only exception to this case would be the flight shots, since the shutter speeds for those are pretty high already. That might change if and when I decide to pick up a sidekick for the markins.

Thanks guys for your honest opinion.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Eric,

Hard to do a really good evaluation on my monitor here at work, but except for the piggy these look OK to me sharpness-wise. A little soft maybe, but I think you may be right about the jpeg quality level. I save my shots for the web at level 12 (PS CS).

I'll check them again when I get home, but in any case, they are very good captures.