More humming birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Pradipta Dutta, Sep 20, 2008.

1. For the second week in running (I typically only get to shoot on weekends:wink:), I continued to practice shooting humming birds. I sure hope I am improving with this new found hobby of shooting hummers. Well, this is my 3rd attempt at shooting these little birds in my backyard -

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

2. Nice series. I like the second image... the looks in the eyes and the ruffled feathers.

3. Thanks! Yes, it is a somewhat unusual shot of a hummer.

4. Excellent? The first one especially. Shutter speed used?

5. These are definitely much better than your first try. I like #1
    best. Focus, exposure, details are all good and the background
    is eye-pleasing. I noticed that this(or these) hummer seem to have
    a fungal decay on his bill.
    Thanks for sharing.

6. Thanks! Shutter speed used was 1/2000 sec.

7. Thanks!

Yes, I noticed it to be unusual as typically those are straight and smooth. But didn't realize that it was because of a fungal decay. That has been bothering me since yesterday. Thanks for identifying it.

8. Pradipta, you're hooked!
    Me too!
    Hummers are such fascinating creatures.
    I'm impressed with your captures here.
    Did you flash?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. Hi Virginia, long time no talk. Yes, I am hooked into shooting hummers. I was quite frustrated with my first attempt. But given the signs that I am improving with each attempt gives me some hope:smile:.

Thanks! These sure are quite fascinating little birds.

Yes, I used 4 flashes (SB-800 as master and 3 SB-600 as slaves) each with 1/8th of power. Used the light to stop motion rather than just the shutter speed.

10. Thanks, Phil!!

11. BIGBEAR

BIGBEAR

Nov 16, 2007
    Forney, Texas
    Pradipta,

WOW!! these are awesome. You learn alot faster than me. I am like you on the getting hooked part. I drove 190 miles this weekend to go see my family and spent most of time outside staring at a hummingbird feeder. The only shots I got look like poop. I have got to get more flashes. keep them coming.

12. Thanks!

13. LindaP

LindaP

Nov 16, 2007
    Iowa, USA
    Good shots. I like the first one best.

14. Thanks, Linda!