1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

More Icebergs In Greenland

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I am catching up after 4 days without power or easy web access.:mad: 

Here are some additional iceberg photos taken in Greenland on our recent arctic adventure:

This one looks like a giant peppermint candy:
    369144044_4zKBK-XL.
    NIKON D300    ---    75mm    f/8.0    1/400s    ISO 200

This one included a large and cold looking bathtub:
    369144142_jqjys-XL.
    NIKON D300    ---    40mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 200

This one had a very large arch:
    369145196_LmXfq-XL.
    NIKON D300    ---    98mm    f/7.1    1/400s    ISO 200

Here is a very big one with all sorts of ice caverns in it:
    369145366_3pFYW-XL.
    NIKON D300    ---    100mm    f/6.3    1/400s    ISO 200

369145399_egBkq-XL.
    NIKON D300    ---    70mm    f/7.1    1/400s    ISO 200

Looking into the caves (taken from the ship as we passed close by):
    369145522_oyRnR-XL.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/5.6    1/400s    ISO 360

369145660_HmvmB-XL.

Bob & Nan

2. Those are great shots. I hear these things get immense but it's so hard to get a sense of scale when there are no animals or boats in the pictures. You did a beautiful job catching the details.

3. These are impressive. Did you PP them with selective color or something? I wonder about the intense turquoise (which looks cool) vs. the surroundings.

4. Hi Daniel,

I wish I was good enough at post processing to make such intense colors :rolleyes: .

Those shots are nearly right from the camera, shot as large, fine, JPG's with just minor adjusting of levels and USM in Photoshop. The intense blue coloring occurs in old glacier ice where the crystal structure changes with time and pressure. It ends up absorbing all the colors from sunlight except blue.

We have see the same thing in icebergs in Antarctica, Alaska, Iceland, and Svalbard.

Bob

5. Here is one little berg that seemed to be smiling at us:

369820909_B4ea3-XL.
    NIKON D300    ---    32mm    f/9.0    1/320s    ISO 200

Bob & Nan

6. Thanks Bob, I'm still surprised by the intense colours relative to the environment.

7. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Amazing Beauty!

8. These are stunning. What striking and unusual subjects!

9. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    So Very Cool !!!!

10. pat33

pat33

Nov 13, 2007
    Singapore
    Love these. Beautifully captured.

11. AtlPikMan

AtlPikMan

Sep 21, 2008
    Atlanta Ga
    Nice shots. I really like #4, it looks huge. How big was it? What can you compair its size to?

12. You are asking a hard to answer question, but here goes...

I'll guess the top of the iceberg is at least 120 feet above the waterline. In photo #7 I am standing on a deck of the ship at least 40 feet above the waterline and am looking down the middle of the cave. So the middle of the cave is about my height. That would make the top of the cave maybe 80 feet or so with lots of ice on top of that.

If you look closely at photo #6, there is a bird flying just above the bottom of the photo (right of center). That is a Northern Fulmar that is about 18 inches long with a 42 inch wingspan. It is out of focus, so it is closer to the camera than the iceberg and thus appears larger than the iceberg. It is still very small!

If my height guess is anywhere near correct, then the iceberg length is at least 5 times the height or 600 feet long. I think my estimate is conservative and the upper limit might easily be 200 feet high and 1000 feet long. Also remember only 1/10 is above water!

Hope this helps,
    Bob

13. andrzejmakal

andrzejmakal

Apr 30, 2008
    Poland
    WOW, supernice, CongratS!

14. Great shots, Bob. The icebergs are amazing. Thanks for sharing them.

15. Impressive and beautiful pics, really cool shots, no pun intended.

16. Very impressive captures:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.