More Jazz from the past

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Not being able to get out and take new pictures has at least encouraged me to take a deep look back through my archives at last.

With my home made negative copier, it is a quick process to scan a whole film and have full size contact prints. Seeing the "contacts" enlarged makes it easier to see those shots where a facial expression makes the difference.

I am finding a lot of stuff I never really printed for myself when I shot these picture for our local theatre, between 1988 and 2000. I have started with Jazz, my first performing arts love, but I have all the other genres to go through afterwards.

I am going to make myself a nice Blurb book with the huge amount of material I am converting at long last.

A heresy, but working with scanned film is much easier and adaptable than working with wet printing. I can have grade 1 and grade 5 on the same frame. The point controls in DXO are brilliant for this job.

These were all shot on Nikon FM2 or 801 and a Tamron 300 2.8. My Tamron was always on 2.8 for performing arts.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Han Bennink

Elvin Jones

Ornete Coleman

Don Cherry

John Zorn

Sonny Rollins

Herbie Hancock

Chick Corea

John McLaughlin

You have such a wonderful collection. Though the cirvumstances are terrible, I am glad you found the time to rediscover these. A book would be great. Do you know any of the musicians today?

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have such a wonderful collection. Though the cirvumstances are terrible, I am glad you found the time to rediscover these. A book would be great. Do you know any of the musicians today?
Thanks.

I stopped photographing concerts around 2000 as family life and my main job left me little time to dedicate to theatrical and concert photography. I lost contact with that world.

I just go to Jazz concerts as a spectator now, although I did sneak a picture (photography was banned) of Pat Metheny at a concert I went to on Lake Garda recently and I have shot a couple of concerts a friend of my wife performed in Liguria as well as Carl Palmer when he preformed in a small club in Bologna.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Indeed a wonderful b&w collection, Nigel!
Thanks for sharing. These are really remarkable.
The only positive thing I can find in this horrible situation we have at present, is that I have had time to go back over my vast collection of B&W negatives and find stuff I never really looked at when I was shooting this stuff for our local theatre.

A lot of these shots I have posted have never been "printed" before.

I am amazed what I can do, shooting with my home made contraption and processing with DXO.

Here is my copier with an Olympus EM5 attached. I now use the D800 with a 60mm Nikon macro.

IMG_2117.JPG
IMG_2120.JPG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom