more kids soccer - I got a few goals this time

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Chris_B, May 12, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are cute little guys
    Nice shots

3. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Wow, what a great improvement in one week! Number 2 is a great capture. I can see that you are cropping, but I would bring that crop in all the way from just the top of his head to the bottom of the ball. Use the fence behin the player as a guide and straighten the horizon and it will be just awesome. Great bokeh!

4. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Gale. Yes they are a lot of fun to watch.

Raul - thanks very much for the suggestions. Most of those shots are crops as you noted. I still need to practice framing tighter while shooting. Even with the D200 10mp, I get uneasy when I crop too much. Here is #2 with straitened (great suggestion) and cropped tighter. It is about a 100% crop from the full frame.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I think that you did very well, the action and facial expressions are real nice. Keep the images coming.

6. Hello Chris,

Nice shots.
    Since you mentioned a VR lens and looking at your profile I take it you were using the 70-200 lens. Were you also using a TC or just the lens by itself?
    I am hoping that when my camera returns from Nikon service to be able to get as nice of pictures as those you have shared with us.

Take care.
    Donald

7. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Frank.

Donald - it was the 70-200VR +1.4TC. It is a good match for the short soccer fields they use for U6 soccer.

8. Thanks Chris.

For the larger players I think I need to stick with the TC20e, but for the smaller ones I think adding a TC14 to my 70-200 is in the cards. Your shots are what I am hoping to accomplish when I get back to shooting. I have been shooting my two grandsons for the last year playing baseball and soccer and finally discovered one of the reasons for so many of my shots that did not come out right. Seems that the camera was not focusing where it said it was and all of my shots were a bit out of focus. Seeing that it was the camera and not my settings or techniques, I am now regaining my excitement about photography and anxiously awaiting the return of my camera from Nikon Service.

Take care.
    Donald

9. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Chris, your shots are looking better !! # 2 is outstanding but dont be afraid to get in there and crop , here is another good tip for you .... It looks like in your re-post of number 2 you posted with an 8x10 ratio ...try something a bit taller like 5x7 and you can crop a lil bit off the sides.....but thats nit-picking ... #3 is also GREAT, Love the action ! Your shots are getting better every time ! looking forward to seeing more !

10. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Topher. I'm getting there. I see an improvement from last season and I'm having fun which is what counts. The parents love to see them too.

Donald - Certainly try the 20e but my bet is that you will see a significant slowdown in focusing. With the 14, you will be fine. If you need more reach, you may have to go for a 300 which is what most big sports photogs use.